Triangle Strips algorithms

Post by Virtual » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,
I had problems with my news server, so I don't know if this message is
already posted. Here it goes again :)

First sorry about my english.
I'm looking for a good algorithm for constructing triangle strips from
triangular models. I've found some of them for global polygonal
models, I mean, they perhaps lost some performance trying to convert
polygonal faces into triangles, so there must be some optimized
algorithm for already  triangulated models.
        I've read the paper "Optimizing Triangle Strips for Fast
Rendering" written by F.Evans, S.Skiena, A.Varshney and they mentioned
like a future work to do:

        Perform a careful study of algorithms for constructing
triangle strips from fully triangulated models ...

 I want to know if anybody knows about this or something like that.
Any help would be apreciated.

-----------------------------------
Lander Urbizu
Virtualia, 1997.

-----------------------------------

Post by xton » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

>         Perform a careful study of algorithms for constructing
> triangle strips from fully triangulated models ...

>  I want to know if anybody knows about this or something like that.
> Any help would be apreciated.

> -----------------------------------
> Lander Urbizu
> Virtualia, 1997.

> -----------------------------------

Hi,
        The following homepage is about triangle strip algorithm:
1.http://tofu.alt.net/~grantham/meshifier/show.html
        A SGI's employee's program for strip triangles.
2.http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~evans/stripe.html
        The strip program that maybe you visited.
3. There are program named tmesh.c that organize the triangle into
strip. It is written by Kurt Akeley and Paul in 1990. I have two
different copies of it. However, it is used to generate the GL triangle
strip. You can find it on SGI machine(someone told me). Or I can email a
copy to you.
        Expect the above is helpful to you.

--Tong Xin
=============================
Dept. of Computer Science
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - *
Lab : Room 415, Graphics Lab
Chow Yin Ching Building
Phone: (852) 2857 8454

=============================

Post by Curtis L. Ols » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Also, OpenGL Optimizer includes a very good triangle *.

> One of the great things about OpenGL Optimizer is having immediate
> access to excellent geometry algorithms for triangle stripping,
> surface t*, etc.  Find out about OpenGL Optimizer and get
> it for free from:

>   http://www.veryComputer.com/

> I hope this helps.

> - Mark

If only there was a Linux version of the Optimizer this really would
help.

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson                        Systems Administrator

http://www.veryComputer.com/~curt      Try Linux!

Post by simon » Sun, 16 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> |>      The following homepage is about triangle strip algorithm:
> |> 1.http://www.veryComputer.com/~grantham/meshifier/show.html
> |>      A SGI's employee's program for strip triangles.
> |> 2.http://www.veryComputer.com/~evans/stripe.html
> |>      The strip program that maybe you visited.
> |> 3. There are program named tmesh.c that organize the triangle into
> |> strip. It is written by Kurt Akeley and Paul in 1990. I have two
> |> different copies of it. However, it is used to generate the GL triangle
> |> strip. You can find it on SGI machine(someone told me). Or I can email a
> |> copy to you.

> Also, OpenGL Optimizer includes a very good triangle *.

> One of the great things about OpenGL Optimizer is having immediate
> access to excellent geometry algorithms for triangle stripping,
> surface t*, etc.  Find out about OpenGL Optimizer and get
> it for free from:

>   http://www.veryComputer.com/

As a secondary note. If your models originate from Nurb data (which of
course may not be the case) and you can start from the Nurbs, then
our current experience with Optimizer says that you may gain enormously
from using OpenGL Optimizer's tesselators too.

Quote:

> I hope this helps.

> - Mark

Simon Hayhurst                                   | Phone  (1)-650-933 6258
Applied Engineering                              | Fax    (1)-650-964 8671
                                                 | V-mail 933-6258

1. Triangle-Strip Algorithm Needed

Hello and Thanks in Advance.

  I'm looking for an algorithm to convert a surface tesselation into one or

more triangle strips to improve graphics speed on OpenGL display hardware.

  As input I have a list of points with the topology of the tesselation:
           npoints
           xyz[3][npoints]
           normals[3][npoints]
           ntriangles
           tris[3][ntriangles]

  I would like as output:
           nstrips
           tris[*][nstrips]

  Any help would be appreciated, even a URL.

--
Paul Tallon
Senior Development Engineer

http://users.sgi.net/~pft

2. Help Catmull-Rom splines

3. OpenGL bug with no-hardware shading ?

4. triangle strip algorithm from SGI

5. r-trees in delphi

6. triangle strip algorithms

7. Good Adobe tutorials 9509

8. Triangle-Strip Algorithm Needed

9. Algorithm to combine triangle meshes into triangle strips

10. Realtime triangle strip generation algorithms

11. Triangle Strip Preserving LOD (T-Strip LOD)