question: vertex arrays under win98 + vertices to polygons

question: vertex arrays under win98 + vertices to polygons

Post by Alex Stracha » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm programming in OpenGL under Windows and am getting compiler errors when
I try to use vertex arrays.  It seems to be because I'm using OpenGL 1.1
rather than 1.2, but I can't find OpenGL 1.2 for Windows.  Does this exist
yet?  (I'm a newbie, so I'm just learning these things!)  Does anyone have
any suggestions, either how to get vertex arrays working, or another
efficient  method under 1.1?

Also, this might be naive but is there an OpenGL function which can take a
list of vertices and group them into polygons?  So far I've been including
polygon info explicitly in the datafile, but am wondering if there's an
easier way to do it?!
(all I want to do is draw things as GL_POLYGONS rather than LINES, etc.)

All help gratefully appreciated!

Cheers,
Alex

question: vertex arrays under win98 + vertices to polygons

Post by Rolf Magnu » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:Alex Strachan wrote...
>I'm programming in OpenGL under Windows and am getting compiler errors when
>I try to use vertex arrays.  It seems to be because I'm using OpenGL 1.1
>rather than 1.2, but I can't find OpenGL 1.2 for Windows.  Does this exist
>yet?  (I'm a newbie, so I'm just learning these things!)  Does anyone have
>any suggestions, either how to get vertex arrays working, or another
>efficient  method under 1.1?

Use the GL_EXT_vertex_array extension under 1.1 . Also, you could download
Mesa, it's 1.2 compliant, I think.

Quote:>Also, this might be naive but is there an OpenGL function which can take a
>list of vertices and group them into polygons?  So far I've been including
>polygon info explicitly in the datafile, but am wondering if there's an
>easier way to do it?!
>(all I want to do is draw things as GL_POLYGONS rather than LINES, etc.)

Don't you need to specify the type of primitive when drawing your arrays?

--
Rolf Magnus

question: vertex arrays under win98 + vertices to polygons

Post by David Melinosk » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Vertex arrays work fine with OpenGL 1.1 with Win98.  I've been using it them
for quite a while now, could you provide a code sample so we can see what it
is that won't compile?  And what compiler are you using?

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm programming in OpenGL under Windows and am getting compiler errors
when
> I try to use vertex arrays.  It seems to be because I'm using OpenGL 1.1
> rather than 1.2, but I can't find OpenGL 1.2 for Windows.  Does this exist
> yet?  (I'm a newbie, so I'm just learning these things!)  Does anyone have
> any suggestions, either how to get vertex arrays working, or another
> efficient  method under 1.1?

> Also, this might be naive but is there an OpenGL function which can take a
> list of vertices and group them into polygons?  So far I've been including
> polygon info explicitly in the datafile, but am wondering if there's an
> easier way to do it?!
> (all I want to do is draw things as GL_POLYGONS rather than LINES, etc.)

> All help gratefully appreciated!

> Cheers,
> Alex

1. Several tex coordinates for one vertex with Vertex Arrays

Hi all!
I am using vertex arrays and would like to keep this. I realized that many
of the vertices of my scene should have several texture coordinates.
Sometimes it is also possible, that one vertex's tex coordinates belong to
different textures! This happens, because the vertices are part of several
polygons. Imagine a cube - each vertex belongs to 3 quadrangles. In this
case it would be possible to assign one tex coordinate for each vertex, but
in my case it is not.
Of course I could copy the vertex for each texture coordinate, but this
would create too many vertices - I do not want to perform the same
transformations several times!
I could also render each polygon alone and modify the tex coordinate array.
But isn't there a faster way?
Thanks,
 Philipp

2. Seeking: General purpose graphics format converter for PC

3. Nvidia Vertex programs, with vertex arrays in display lists

4. NEED INFO ON FLICK FILE FORMAT

5. vertex transformation, vertex arrays

6. looking for button tutorials

7. Polygons and vertex array : Organization ?!

8. info-gnuplot-digest V1 #2024

9. vertex array with differant polygon types

10. Vertex array vs. Tex-coord array

11. Vertex arrays and intertwined arrays HELP!

12. Vertex arrays and texture coordinate arrays

13. Vertex Array & Normal Array