blending and reflection

Post by a98mi.. » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 08:27:31

Hi!
I'm trying to create a water effect that reflects the clouds in the sky
but I don't think I've got it right.
The problem is that the cloud reflections dosen't seem to be as effected
by the ripples in the water as it probably should be.
Is there some blending on/off, lighting on/off, depth buffer on/off that
has to be considered when performing reflection?

Thanks in advance!
/Michael Andersson

blending and reflection

Post by Asshen Shuga » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 09:50:22

How are you doing the reflection, that is the question...

> Hi!
> I'm trying to create a water effect that reflects the clouds in the sky
> but I don't think I've got it right.
> The problem is that the cloud reflections dosen't seem to be as effected
> by the ripples in the water as it probably should be.
> Is there some blending on/off, lighting on/off, depth buffer on/off that
> has to be considered when performing reflection?

> Thanks in advance!
> /Michael Andersson

1. Blending reflection into a scene

Looking at the DX9 sample "stencilmirror", I tried to add
water reflection to my 3d terrain engine.
This worked, but there is one quite big problem.

The reflection is "blended" into the scene after the
normal rendering has finished.
But rendering the reflection blended, does not only result
in the reflection being blended with the original scene
(this is right), but also blends the reflected objects
with eachother.

In other words, you can see through objects that are in
the reflection of the water.(and see the objects behind
those objects that should not be visible)

In some cases this problem is solved when the reflected
object that is farest away from the camera gets rendered
last, but half of the time, the closest object is rendered
last, and then this object is blended with the objects
behind it.

I was wondering how this can be handled, and why the
stencilmirror sample does take account of this... (or
maybe I missed something)

A possible solution would be to render the reflection
without blending, and save this picture in a buffer, and
blend this picture into the scene after the scene is
rendered.
But I have no clue wether this is even possible, and how
this would work.

2. Blend and WOW problem

3. Virtual Kaleidascope - reflections of reflections???

4. About Radiance's Licence.

5. alpha blending code to blend within 0xff-220

6. Windows system palette

7. Blending and Min/Max Blend Equation?

8. MIT

9. Additive Blending Effects and other alpha blending mysteries

10. reflection in ball

11. Pond Reflections?

12. Supressing reflection of transparent objects with Pov3.0

13. Reflection inside a tube / ring