Newbie help needed for OpenGL on NT, how to create window?

Newbie help needed for OpenGL on NT, how to create window?

Post by Raymond C » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I just got the Opengl programming guide, and I am try to run the
sample programs from the book, using VC++ 4.0. I can link the program
fine, but without the code to open a window, the program just
essentially does nothing.

The code in the book says

OpenAWindowPlease();

which I assume differs from system to system. So is there a simple
system call to open a window? in C and not c++ using MFC? Is it
possible to do opengl stuff on NT, in straight C and not using the
windows style message passing and c++? All I need to do is some
graphics stuff and I don't really want to learn MFC and windows
programming, and I just happens to have a NT machine.

Thanks a lot.

--
Raymond Chi

Post by Michael I. Go » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

| The code in the book says
|
| OpenAWindowPlease();
|
| which I assume differs from system to system. So is there a simple
| system call to open a window? in C and not c++ using MFC? Is it
| possible to do opengl stuff on NT, in straight C and not using the
| windows style message passing and c++? All I need to do is some
| graphics stuff and I don't really want to learn MFC and windows
| programming, and I just happens to have a NT machine.

You can use the AUX library, which is used throughout the book.
I believe glaux.lib and glaux.h are shipped with NT, possibly in
the opengl samples directory.

But a better choice is to use GLUT, a better/stronger/faster toolkit
which provides a superset of the AUX functionality.  Written by Mark
Kilgard and ported by Nate Robins, The NT version is available from:

        http://www.veryComputer.com/~narobins/opengl.html
--
Michael I. Gold     Silicon Graphics Inc.     http://www.veryComputer.com/
And my mama cried,  "Nanook a no no! Don't be a * eskimo! Save your