OpenGL 1.1 & Windows NT 3.51

Post by Miguel Jorda » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I know that Windows NT 4.0 ships with OpenGL 1.1 support, and OpenGL 1.1
for Windows 95 has also been released.  I can't find any info on updating
NT 3.51
for OpenGL 1.1, however.  Does anyone know how to get this, or if it even
exists?

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Miguel Jordan

OpenGL 1.1 & Windows NT 3.51

Post by Ron Fosne » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I know that Windows NT 4.0 ships with OpenGL 1.1 support, and OpenGL 1.1
> for Windows 95 has also been released.  I can't find any info on updating
> NT 3.51
> for OpenGL 1.1, however.  Does anyone know how to get this, or if it even
> exists?

> Thanks in advance for any help.
> -Miguel Jordan

Nope, you have to update to NT 4.0. Believe me, you want to. Not only is
the OpenGL implementation better in 4.0,  (aside from the 1.1
features) but all the GDI stuff was moved into the core, so overall it's
just faster as well.

Ron Fosner
author of "OpenGL Programming for Windows 95 & Windows NT"

OpenGL 1.1 & Windows NT 3.51

Post by Robert Bauma » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have asked the same question under microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
but have yet to recieve any reply.
Robert

OpenGL 1.1 & Windows NT 3.51

Post by Stephen H. Wrigh » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Miguel -

OpenGL 1.1 was developed for NT 4.0 and retrofit onto Win95; we don't have
any plans to retrofit it to NT 3.51.  One issue with going to 3.51 is that
the basic display driver model for NT changed dramatically between 3.51 and
4.0, so that any hardware developers would have to supply a third driver to
support 1.1 features on 3.51 (in addition to their old 1.0 on 3.51 driver
and the new 1.1 on 4.0 driver.)

I take it you can't or don't want to move to NT 4.0; can you tell me why
that isn't an acceptable solution for you?

Steve Wright
OpenGL Program Manager
Microsoft Corporation

Quote:> I know that Windows NT 4.0 ships with OpenGL 1.1 support, and OpenGL 1.1
> for Windows 95 has also been released.  I can't find any info on updating
> NT 3.51
> for OpenGL 1.1, however.  Does anyone know how to get this, or if it even
> exists?

> Thanks in advance for any help.
> -Miguel Jordan

1. OpenGL NT 3.51 app won't work under NT 4.0

I have an OpenGL application which worked under NT 3.51, but won't under
NT 4.0.  One problem is that if I suspend the context using
wglMakeCurrent (NULL, NULL), and then assign it again using
wglMakeCurrent, I get an illegal memory access in __glInitDepth16 for
using a 0 pointer, with the following stack.

CRotateXlate::do_xforms() line 1614

Another problem is that after drawing an object around 100 times, it
draws very slowly.  I haven't had time to look into this one.  I assume
that these problems are some quirk with NT 4.0, or with OpenGL for NT
4.0.  Has anyone had similar problems and knows the solution?

Thanks.

--

Software Consultant     www.vianova.com/~vianova
Via Nova                OpenGL, Open Inventor products for Windows 95/NT

2. Limits to using name stack

3. OpenGl Optimizer 1.1 reference Manual for Windows NT.

4. Commercializing

5. OpenGL 1.1 on Windows NT 4.0

6. Have a look at my Scharnhorst!

7. OpenGl Optimizer 1.1 reference Manual for Windows NT.

8. Restoring Silvering Images?

9. Help! Microsoft OpenGL NT 1.1 != 1.1

10. Logical operations & OpenGl 1.1 on Windows 95

11. HP ScanJet IIc/Windows NT 3.51

12. Does anyone want to buy Windows NT 3.51?

13. Windows NT 3.51?