Beginners problem with Gl on DEC Alpha

Post by Scott Shanno » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi there. Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem I am
having at the moment is caused by. I have been writing my own raytracer
and am using OpenGL to do pixel plotting (that's all I want it to do as
I want it to be independent of OpenGL). I am using the libaux
library which I got some somewhere (can't remeber now!) which makes it
easy to open a window etc. Anyway, the colors come out fine when I
run on a SGI O2 workstation, but now I only have access to a DEC
Alpha workstation, and even though everything compiles fine, the
colors are all wrong...it looks like I am only getting a very limited
range of colors. There is no shading at all, just abrupt huge jumps
in color as one renders a surface.

Anyway, any idea as to what I need to do/change to get the colors
right would be much appreciated! Oh, the Alpha workstation can
view other highly colored images perfectly (like on Netscape or
using xv ), so it doesn't seem to be a hardware thing.

Scott S

--

Post by Andrew F. Vespe » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> ... Anyway, the colors come out fine when I
> run on a SGI O2 workstation, but now I only have access to a DEC
> Alpha workstation, and even though everything compiles fine, the
> colors are all wrong...it looks like I am only getting a very limited
> range of colors. There is no shading at all, just abrupt huge jumps
> in color as one renders a surface.

What kind of visual are you getting on the Alpha? If you are getting a
4444 visual, or worse, a 332 visual, you would get very lousy results.
Run the 'xglinfo' program to find out what visuals are available.

--
Andy V (OpenGL Alpha Geek)
Non erravi perniciose!