GLUT 3.7 installation procedure for Unix/SGI

GLUT 3.7 installation procedure for Unix/SGI

Post by Martin Neitz » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I successfully compiled the glut-3.7 sources on an old but trusty
SGI following the READMEs and supplied sgi makefile setup.
Well, I had to add two or four symlinks, but basically
my "make" is completing just fine.   I have the libs,
and the demo programs run fine, too.

Now, my question is that there is no target for a "make install".
Neither is there such a target of I use the generic Unix makefile
approach based on xmkmf -- which puzzles.

So:  Am I missing something?  Which of the lib andd headers should
go where to?

I was also wondering why glut-3.7 is just packaged with this huge
set of demo programs which I basically don't need and which
for me personally just waist time during building the glut libs.
I'm not intending to rant about this -- thanks for providing these
helpful libs and the demo programs at all.  It's really just
a packaging question.

                                        Martin Neitzel, confused and
                                        still in all the prepatory
                                        steps to compile the FlightGear
                                        stuff.

Post by Paul Mart » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>So:  Am I missing something?  Which of the lib andd headers should
>go where to?

No, you're not missing anything. Put the .h and libraries anywhere that is
convenient. /usr/include/GL works good for the .h files, and /usr/lib for
the libraries. If you don't put them in standard places like that, you'll
just need to use -I and -L command line options when you build.

   -Paul Martz                 Remove "DONTSPAM" to reply
    Hewlett Packard Workstation Systems Lab
    August '99 eclipse photos: http://www.frii.com/~martz/eclipse99/

GLUT 3.7 installation procedure for Unix/SGI

Post by Efraim Mostro » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Anyone compiled GLUT3.7 with Mingw32?

I am not a guru. The makefiles are made for Visual C. I dont
like that.

/Efraim

GLUT 3.7 installation procedure for Unix/SGI

Post by Martin Neitz » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the clarification, Paul!

                                                Martin

1. GLUT 3.7 problems on Unix

Hi,

I have been programming OpenGL based applications for a long time on
various Unix platforms. Originally I used the aux library for the event
handling.

My current application is a molecular modelling package. While I was using
the aux library I got my molecules rotating very smoothly with the mouse.
However, recently I decided to start using GLUT (version 3.7). I do all my
programming on a windoze box and I got my program to work on Windows
as it should (smooth rotations) and expected no problems on the Unix
platforms.
When I moved the code over to Unix (Linux and IRIX) the rotation of the
objects
were far from smooth. In fact the object did still rotate quite a while
after I had
released the mouse button, with which I control the rotation.

To me it looks as if the event queue control is not synchronised.  I know
the -sync
option for the glutInit function but I did not see any difference while
using it.

Am I doing something totally wrong or is this a feature of GLUT (version
3.7)?

Yours,

-leif laaksonen

Center for Scientific Computing    | Phone:      358 9 4572378
P.O. Box 405                       | Mobile:     358 400425203
FIN-02101 Espoo                    | Telefax:    358 9 4572302

-------- URL: http://laaksonen.csc.fi/leif.laaksonen.html ---------

2. algorithm for 2D quadrilateral mesh needed

3. How to correctly install GLUT 3.7 in SGI?

4. UK LWers must read this (Please !)

5. How to install GLUT 3.7 in SGI?

6. Transparent button background file type

7. SGI n32 link error with GLUT 3.7 beta library

8. Splines

9. installation problems of 3.7 on Solaris 2.6

10. Gnuplot 3.7 Installation problem on Solaris 2.6

11. Compiling GLUT 3.7 for IRIX 6.5 with GCC?

12. compiling glut 3.7

13. GLUT 3.7 missing glutf90.h to build f90gl?