OpenGL on Solaris without hardware support/X only

OpenGL on Solaris without hardware support/X only

Post by Bernd Oliver Christians » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 05:17:39

Hello:

Is there a way to configure Sun OpenGL for Solaris such that it maps
the OpenGL API down to X windows calls, effectively bypassing all
OpenGL hardware acceleration?

What I'm trying to do is to display an OpenGL application on another
desktop using VNC.  However, VNC doesn't capture OpenGL windows.  If
one could configure Sun OpenGL for Solaris to implement the OpenGL API
in terms of X, VNC would work out-of-the-box!  Obviously, the OpenGL
output would be slower, but VNC is slow anyway.

Another way to do this would be to compile an OpenGL application with
Mesa.  Obviously, this approach only works if the source code is
available.  Has anybody successfully done this?

I would highly appreciate any help on this issue.

Also, is there a more appropriate newsgroup for this questions?

Thanks a lot,

-Bernd

OpenGL on Solaris without hardware support/X only

Post by Jonn » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:37:09

[...]

Quote:> Another way to do this would be to compile an OpenGL application with
> Mesa.  Obviously, this approach only works if the source code is
> available.  Has anybody successfully done this?

You don't have to compile with Mesa, Mesa just provides libGL and libGLU
libraries which a normal OpenGL program is already linked to anyway.

Jonno

Post by Gretta Kaganovic » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:48:27

> [...]
> > Another way to do this would be to compile an OpenGL application with
> > Mesa.  Obviously, this approach only works if the source code is
> > available.  Has anybody successfully done this?

> You don't have to compile with Mesa, Mesa just provides libGL and libGLU
> libraries which a normal OpenGL program is already linked to anyway.

> Jonno

First of all, thank you! unfortunetlly i tried to use glutPostRedisplar but
it's not working.
I show you part of my code which belong to AttachMenu part:

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
int color_id, size_id, fill_id;
  glutInit(&argc, argv);

      glutInitWindowSize(w_width,w_hight);
      glutInitWindowPosition(100,100);
      glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_RGB);
      glutCreateWindow("Paint");
      glutDisplayFunc(displayPaint);

**********************************Menu
Options************************************************

      color_id=glutCreateMenu(Check_Func);
      /*10-14 -> Colors*/
            glutAddMenuEntry("RED",10);
            glutAddMenuEntry("YELLOW",11);
            glutAddMenuEntry("BLUE",12);
            glutAddMenuEntry("GREEN",13);
            glutAddMenuEntry("WHITE",14);
      size_id=glutCreateMenu(Check_Func);
      /*2-3 -> point size*/
          glutAddMenuEntry("Increase Pixel_Size",2);
          glutAddMenuEntry("Decrease Pixel_Size",3);
      fill_id=glutCreateMenu(Check_Func);
      /*0-1 -> 0->empty 1->fiil*/
          glutAddMenuEntry("Fill On",1);
          glutAddMenuEntry("Fill Of",0);