Displaying SGI/OpenGL app on Solaris/Mesa via SSH

Displaying SGI/OpenGL app on Solaris/Mesa via SSH

Post by Jennifer Beva » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:04:41

Hi,
I am trying to get an application that interfaces with
an SGI-only third-party library to display remotely
on my home machine over an SSH connection.  Speed is not
the issue here, obviously!   However, as OpenGL seems
to only "render to GLX" (pardon my ignorance: I'm relatively
new to this) and not all the way to raw X, I'm getting
the following message:

X server has no OpenGL (GLX) Extention: Error 0
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "boracay:10.0".
Cannot get appropriate visual: Error 0
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "boracay:10.0".
Cannot create OpenGL rendering context: Error 0
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  1107
  Current serial number in output stream:  1108

The funny thing is the Xforms window comes up just fine - it's
when the main rendering window shows up that it dies - hence
the problem with creating the context, I imagine.

My question is, it certainly seems like this must have been
resolved at some point in the past, but I can't seem to find
any references to a solution!  My previous research gave me
a couple of environment variables to set, but that was only
for viewing Mesa on an OpenGL display - I'm backwards from
that.  Any solution that works on either Solaris or Linux
via Mesa, and that doesn't get hosed with the auto-display
forwarding of SSH, would be greatly appreciated.

If this is not the right group to which this question should
be directed, please redirect me to the correct forum.  Thanks!!

-Jen

Displaying SGI/OpenGL app on Solaris/Mesa via SSH

Post by Jon Lee » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:24:57

Quote:

>Hi,
>I am trying to get an application that interfaces with
>an SGI-only third-party library to display remotely
>on my home machine over an SSH connection.  Speed is not
>the issue here, obviously!   However, as OpenGL seems
>to only "render to GLX" (pardon my ignorance: I'm relatively
>new to this) and not all the way to raw X, I'm getting
>the following message:

>X server has no OpenGL (GLX) Extention: Error 0
>Xlib:       extension "GLX" missing on display "boracay:10.0".

    Judging from this error, most likely you don't have Sun's OpenGL
installed on the Solaris machine. Having Mesa installed on the Sun will
not solve this problem; it doesn't run as part of Sun's X server, but as
part of the client application.

    If you're using XFree86 on Solaris for some reason, ignore the
above.

    Jon Leech
    SGI

1. Remote OpenGL apps using Linux and Mesa

Hey!

I've just finished configuring Mesa on my Linux machine, and it works
great with the samples and demos.  Now, what I really need to do is
rlogin to our SGI machines and remotely code/compile OpenGL.  Therein
lies the problem.  Any OpenGL app I create will not appear as an
X-window because it wants to find GLX, which doesn't really exist in
Mesa.  I read the Mesa doc concerning how to setup the symbolic links
for libGL.so for libMesaGL.so and did those, but to no avail.  Has
anyone had success with this, or knows somewhere I can go to find info?
By the way, the error message basically says "No GLX on Xserver"
(paraphrased intensely)

Thanks!
Robert Kim
UC Riverside - Visual Psychophysics

2. Import directx mesh into 3dsmax

3. Forwarding OpenGL connections over SSH (secure shell)

4. PLEASE HELP ME

5. MESA Linux/AXP vs. OpenGL SGI

6. Last chance at reduced prices

7. Has anybody ever compared the performance of Mesa and SGI's OpenGL

8. Adobe Illustrator

9. C/C++ source code to display 3D-DXF file via OpenGL

10. Delphi with SGI OpenGL/Mesa

11. Displaying OpenGL graphics in an X-Motif window (HP, Mesa)

12. DISPLAY for MESA/OpenGL/DGL?

13. Converting SGI graphics library to Mesa/OpenGL