OpenGL with Matrox Millennium II

Post by Maxim Kome » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have Matrox Millennium II 4Mb AGP on PII300, but GLQuake doesn't work
under NT 4.0 (it runs but when I press arrows it
responds only in 5 seconds). And so happens in Quake II under
Default OpenGL driver. May be someone can tell me why it doesn't
work.

With best wishes,
 Maxim.

Post by Michael I. Gol » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have Matrox Millennium II 4Mb AGP on PII300, but GLQuake doesn't work
> under NT 4.0 (it runs but when I press arrows it
> responds only in 5 seconds). And so happens in Quake II under
> Default OpenGL driver. May be someone can tell me why it doesn't
> work.

The Millenium isn't exactly the fastest 3D card out there - in fact I
don't believe it even accelerates texture mapping.  The fact that Matrox
licensed the PowerVR chip for their M3D product suggests they realized
they were no longer competitive in the games market.

If you wish to play games like GLQuake, you are better off with a Viper
(RIVA 128), Monster 3D (Voodoo), M3D (PowerVR), or similar card.

Post by Maxim Kome » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > I have Matrox Millennium II 4Mb AGP on PII300, but GLQuake doesn't work
> > under NT 4.0 (it runs but when I press arrows it
> > responds only in 5 seconds). And so happens in Quake II under
> > Default OpenGL driver. May be someone can tell me why it doesn't
> > work.

> The Millenium isn't exactly the fastest 3D card out there - in fact I
> don't believe it even accelerates texture mapping.  The fact that Matrox
> licensed the PowerVR chip for their M3D product suggests they realized
> they were no longer competitive in the games market.

> If you wish to play games like GLQuake, you are better off with a Viper
> (RIVA 128), Monster 3D (Voodoo), M3D (PowerVR), or similar card.

Thank you for answer, but could you tell me if I can use such card
with my Millennium II card and what is better for best perfomance
in 3D graphics.

Post by Michael I. Gol » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > If you wish to play games like GLQuake, you are better off with a Viper
> > (RIVA 128), Monster 3D (Voodoo), M3D (PowerVR), or similar card.

> Thank you for answer, but could you tell me if I can use such card
> with my Millennium II card and what is better for best perfomance
> in 3D graphics.

The boards based on RIVA 128 are integrated 2D/3D solutions which would
replace your Millenium II.  The Voodoo and PowerVR are secondary
controllers which complement your existing 2D adaptor.

Personally I favor the RIVA 128, but my opinion may be coloured by the
fact that I work for nVidia.  (Some of my friends can testify that I
recommended this chipset before I changed jobs, however.)  The most
recent benchmarks I can find support this recommendation:

        http://www.gamecenter.com/Hardware/Roundup/3dcards2/ss02d.html
(October '97)

        http://www.jpa.com/benchmarks/97index.html  (November '97)

The Voodoo is a very close second.

Note that the RIVA 128 gives you 3D in a window or fullscreen, whereas
the Voodoo is fullscreen-only.

CompUSA lists the Monster 3D (Voodoo) for $199.95 and the Viper V330
(RIVA 128) for $179.95.

Post by David Geesama » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Thank you for answer, but could you tell me if I can use such card
> with my Millennium II card and what is better for best perfomance
> in 3D graphics.

        Since the Mil II is such a fast 2d card, you should seriously consider
a Voodoo Chipset 3d add-on card, e.g.: Diamond Monster 3d, Orchid
Righteous 3d, Canopus Pure 3d.  There is much discussion of this topic
in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video and your question is posted
frequently.  Based on the numerous posts there I recommend the Pure3d
for $180 b/c it has 6megs of memory - 4 of which are used for textures.
                Dave Geesaman