Math to render a large image?

Post by Mike Hec » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

We need a way to render a very large image using OpenGL
(off-screen of course).  For most OpenGL implementations
the max viewport dimension is 2048 x 2048.  We want 5000
or bigger, so clearly we'll have render the image as some
number of 2048x2048 "tiles" and combine these images to
make the big one.  For an ortho view it's pretty easy to
see how to setup the camera for each of the "tile" views,
but...

Is it possible to do this with a perspective view?

I'm not sure if the above will be clear (although I'm
sure some of you recognize the problem :-), so here is
another way to think of it.  Imagine we want to divide
the portion of the view plane contained in the view volume
into four quadrants, then render each quadrant separately
such that the resulting four images combined are the same
as rendering the entire view volume.  Yes I know there
will be a few other problems like anti-aliasing at the
edges of the quadrants, we'll deal with that later.  The
hard question (for me anyway) is how to modify the view
volume for rendering each quadrant.

Thanks,
-Mike

1. dumb (hopefully) question about rendering large images (POV-Ray)

I want to render an image for a poster-size print out with POV-Ray.  I
can successfully render a 2560 X 2048 bitmap, but when I jump up to 5120
X 4096 I get the following error when the render is 26% complete:

StretchDIBits () failed! (Windows Error)

I can't imagine I'm running into a limit with POV-Ray; the program seems
almost limitless in every other way.  Is there something I can do to get
around this error?

Thanks,
-Eric

2. Some neat screen saver tricks!

3. How to render an image larger than screen?

4. visualizing cluster of simple molecules

5. Help on rendering very large images

6. Screen shot on a PC?

7. MAX and render large images

8. Just Testing

9. Rendering Large Images

10. How to display large array of large images ...

11. OO Symbolic math rendering???

12. Understanding the Rendering process (Math)