SGI->nonSGI : GLX problem ?

Post by Guy Shecht » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Is it possible to compile a GL program on an SGI, and then open
the display to a non SGI ?

When I try, I get the following error:
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ...

Any ideas ?

Guy
---
Guy Shechter                        |    "Door meten tot weten."
Biomedical Engineering Department   |
The Johns Hopkins University        |        - Heike Kamerlingh Onnes

SGI->nonSGI : GLX problem ?

Post by Angus Dorbi » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Is it possible to compile a GL program on an SGI, and then open
> the display to a non SGI ?

> When I try, I get the following error:
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ...

It is possible.
As the error implies you need an X server which supports GLX.

Type "man glxintro" on your SGI for more info.

Cheers,Angus.

SGI->nonSGI : GLX problem ?

Post by Daryl Forre » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Is it possible to compile a GL program on an SGI, and then open
>the display to a non SGI ?

>When I try, I get the following error:
>Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ...

You need to be running an X server with the GLX extension.

I'm using Tenon MachTen with the public beta of Conix OpenGL on my Power
Macintosh 8600/300 and it works perfectly. I routinely run X/Motif/OpenGL
remotely on my SGI Indigo2 Extreme and send ot output to the Mac's display.

Contact your X server vendor and inquire as to OpenGL support.

- Daryl Forrest

--
-- Daryl Forrest, Software Engineer

-- Please remove "_IHATESPAM" from my e-mail address to reply...

SGI->nonSGI : GLX problem ?

Post by Mark Kilga » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

|> Is it possible to compile a GL program on an SGI, and then open
|> the display to a non SGI ?
|>
|> When I try, I get the following error:
|> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ...
|>
|> Any ideas ?

GLX is the X Window System extension to support OpenGL.

All SGI workstations support OpenGL.  You need to contact
your non-SGI workstation vendor and ask to get OpenGL for
the machine.

An alternative is to compile the freeware Mesa version
of the OpenGL API which emulates OpenGL without needing
the GLX extension API.  Of course, it will probably
be slower than real OpenGL.  Get Mesa from:

  http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~brianp/Mesa.html

I hope this helps.

- Mark

SGI->nonSGI : GLX problem ?

Post by Brian P. Kaspe » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Is it possible to compile a GL program on an SGI, and then open
> the display to a non SGI ?

> When I try, I get the following error:
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ...

> Any ideas ?

> Guy
> ---
> Guy Shechter                        |    "Door meten tot weten."
> Biomedical Engineering Department   |
> The Johns Hopkins University        |        - Heike Kamerlingh Onnes

Guy --

It isn't possible to display GL calls on non-SGI remote systems.
GL is SGI's proprietary API for graphics, so it only runs on
SGI boxes.

The GLX extension provides support for *OpenGL* display.  OpenGL
is ... well, the open followon to GL.  You have to port (i.e. rewrite)
your graphics code to call to the OpenGL API instead of the GL API.
It is possible to use OpenGL calls in X windows, but I've not
reached anywhere near that point in my OpenGL experience, so I can't
offer assistance.  If you're interested, check out Mark Kilgard's
book "OpenGL Programming for the X Window System", ISBN 0-201-48359-9.

Hope this helps ....

-Brian

--
Brian Kasper              | "The only way to deal with bureaucrats is
The Aerospace Corporation | with stealth and sudden *." - U.N.

Opinions are my own    O- |

SGI->nonSGI : GLX problem ?

Post by Dave Shreine » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

   Just a clarification on nomenclature:

   - Iris GL was SGI's properity graphics library.  When working in
        the world of X, there was a GLX which was used to provide the
        glue between an Iris GL window and an X window.  If you
        do an 'xdpyinfo', and look in the section on extensions
        and see "SGI-GLX", then you can send Iris GL windows there.
        The only systems to really support this were SGI's, although
        I know IBM had licensed Iris GL at some point, but I don't
        know to what extent they supported it.  Past history.

   - OpenGL on the other hand, requires the "GLX" extension to
        support remote rendering.  This GLX is different from the
        one mentioned above, and is provided to all OpenGL
        licensee's as part of the OpenGL implementation.  If a
        machine runs X and says it runs OpenGL, this has to be
        there.

   If you're writing an application and what to make sure that
the destination platform does support OpenGL through the GLX
interface, stick the following bit of code into the program
after you open the display:

        if ( ! glXQueryExtension( dpy, NULL, NULL )) {
           fprintf( stderr, "Display does not support GLX\n" );
           // exit() or whatever
        }

   Hope that helps.

Thanx,
Dave

   Silicon Graphics, Inc.                            (650) 933-4899