Port of IRIS-GL charstr() to OpenGL

Post by Andy » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am porting an IRIS-GL application to OpenGL.
>I want to put simple text (dont care about font)
>like the default written by the charstr() function
>in GL.  What is the closest thing to use in OpenGL?
>I need to be able to obscure the text using the Z-buffer
>if a polygon is in front of it (like I can do now in GL).

Check out glXUseXFont for X11 based applications; wgl has
its own set. Note that glXUseXFont creates a bitmap font but
the wgl `equivalents' will create stroke or filled-area fonts.

For bitmap fonts you set the raster position with glRasterPos*
and the point you give that determines the z value for every
bit in the bitmap.

With stroke and filled-area fonts you set the position and
angle and scaling with OpenGL matrix calls (glTranslate* etc.).

In both cases the depth test and update will take place on a
per-pixel basis if enabled.
--
Andy V (A Digital spoke, not a Digital Spokesperson)

Post by Reto Korad » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I am porting an IRIS-GL application to OpenGL.
> I want to put simple text (dont care about font)
> like the default written by the charstr() function
> in GL.  What is the closest thing to use in OpenGL?

If you're working on an SGI, there is an insight book
titled "OpenGL Porting Guide". This contains example code
on how to do simple text labels in OpenGL.
--

1. help: port application from Gl to OpenGL

Hi,

I wrote a program using GL on SGI 4D/380 VGX sometime ago and now
I would like to rewrite it using OpenGL.  My questions are:

1) Where I can get OpenGL library?  Can I use anonymous FTP?
2) GL library seems to work only on SGI workstation.  When I try to use
another X-terminal (non SGI) for displaying, it always gives error message.
Does OpenGL have the same problem?
3) What are the advantages of using OpenGL over GL?  Are there FAQ's somewhere?

Any pointer to the above questions are appreciated.

Lingsong

2. Save JPG File to oracle

3. help: port application from GL to OpenGL

4. Customised Cursors - backgrounds

5. Help needed on GL->OpenGL port

6. Real Wave plugins

7. Iris/Open GL and Iris Performer...

8. Please Help : Need 3D algo. for storage, translation, rotation (C++)

9. X server for NT supporting OpenGL/IRIS GL?

10. converting IRIS GL to OpenGL on Mac

11. Has anyone ported IRIS GL to Opengl?????

12. Equivalent functionality from IRIS GL to OpenGL

13. How OpenGL differs from the IRIS GL