OpenGL and Windows 2000

Post by Michael Andersso » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Gary,
I've already tried that. I've created an application in which a use the
following functions:
glGetString(GL_VENDOR)
glGetString(GL_RENDERER)
They report Microsoft Corp. and GDI Generic.
Shouldn't they report NVIDIA something?

Thanks!
Michael Andersson

OpenGL and Windows 2000

Post by Frans Boum » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Gary,
> I've already tried that. I've created an application in which a use the
> following functions:
> glGetString(GL_VENDOR)
> glGetString(GL_RENDERER)
> They report Microsoft Corp. and GDI Generic.
> Shouldn't they report NVIDIA something?

    They should if your drivers support decent opengl.
    the drivers for nvidia cards that come with win2k don't
    support hw acceleration for opengl/d3d, and therefor
    fall back to sw rendering.

    get the 3.78 beta drivers for almost done opengl drivers
    or search the net for the leaked 5.17 drivers for win2k.
    they work excellent (allthough fall back to software
    rendering at 1280x1024 on my TNT, but hey.. :)

--
Frans Bouma
Main developer DemoGL: www.demogl.com

OpenGL and Windows 2000

Post by Michael Andersso » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Frans,
I've downloaded the Release Candidate 3.78 Win2K from Nvidias homepage (is this the driver you mean?).
This driver still dosen't give me hardware acceleration.
I can't find the other drivers you are talking about.
Need you help please.

Thanks!
Michael Andersson

> > Hi Gary,
> > I've already tried that. I've created an application in which a use the
> > following functions:
> > glGetString(GL_VENDOR)
> > glGetString(GL_RENDERER)
> > They report Microsoft Corp. and GDI Generic.
> > Shouldn't they report NVIDIA something?

>     They should if your drivers support decent opengl.
>     the drivers for nvidia cards that come with win2k don't
>     support hw acceleration for opengl/d3d, and therefor
>     fall back to sw rendering.

>     get the 3.78 beta drivers for almost done opengl drivers
>     or search the net for the leaked 5.17 drivers for win2k.
>     they work excellent (allthough fall back to software
>     rendering at 1280x1024 on my TNT, but hey.. :)

> --
> Frans Bouma
> Main developer DemoGL: www.demogl.com
> Solutions Design: www.sd.nl

OpenGL and Windows 2000

Post by Joel Parri » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

The driver will give you hardware acceleration.  You must not have installed
it properly.  Try this link.

http://www.3dchipset.com/beta/nvidia/win2k.asp

Quote:> Hi Frans,
> I've downloaded the Release Candidate 3.78 Win2K from Nvidias homepage (is

this the driver you mean?).
> This driver still dosen't give me hardware acceleration.
> I can't find the other drivers you are talking about.
> Need you help please.

> Thanks!
> Michael Andersson

Quote:> > > Hi Gary,
> > > I've already tried that. I've created an application in which a use
the
> > > following functions:
> > > glGetString(GL_VENDOR)
> > > glGetString(GL_RENDERER)
> > > They report Microsoft Corp. and GDI Generic.
> > > Shouldn't they report NVIDIA something?

> >     They should if your drivers support decent opengl.
> >     the drivers for nvidia cards that come with win2k don't
> >     support hw acceleration for opengl/d3d, and therefor
> >     fall back to sw rendering.

> >     get the 3.78 beta drivers for almost done opengl drivers
> >     or search the net for the leaked 5.17 drivers for win2k.
> >     they work excellent (allthough fall back to software
> >     rendering at 1280x1024 on my TNT, but hey.. :)

> > --
> > Frans Bouma
> > Main developer DemoGL: www.demogl.com
> > Solutions Design: www.sd.nl

OpenGL and Windows 2000

Post by Sam Pai » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Frans,
> I've downloaded the Release Candidate 3.78 Win2K from Nvidias homepage (is this the driver you mean?).
> This driver still dosen't give me hardware acceleration.
> I can't find the other drivers you are talking about.
> Need you help please.

A very common problem with new users is that they do not select
an accelerated pixel format.  You should either iterate through
the pixel formats and choose an appropriate (accelerated) one,
using DescribePixelFormat, or use some library which will do
so for you.  Do not rely on ChoosePixelFormat, and for heaven's
sake, don't use a hard coded pixel format.

I believe the OpenGL FAQ has some extended information.

Sam Paik

OpenGL and Windows 2000

Post by L.J. Wisch » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>A very common problem with new users is that they do not select
>an accelerated pixel format.  You should either iterate through
>the pixel formats and choose an appropriate (accelerated) one

I put up some code to do this at
http://www.wischik.com/lu/programmer/wingl.html#accelerated

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. www.wischik.com/lu

1. OpenGL on Windows 2000 clips window - solutions?

    Perhaps win2k doesn't sent the expected messages when the window is
    maximized. check which messages you receive when you maximize the
    window and if you react as expected. What seems to be the problem
    is that when the window is maximized, the viewport isn't reinitialized.

    maximizing a window is just enlarging the canvas, not zooming in.

        FB

2. OS2 version of gnuplot

3. OpenGL Stereo on NVIDIA under Windows 2000/NT

4. VC4++/OpenGL: Collection of Ptr's to OpenGL Objects

5. OpenGL weirdness on Windows 2000

6. LW locks the tga file

7. OpenGL Stereo on NVIDIA under Windows 2000/NT

8. Can maya render in BMRT ?

9. OpenGL double buffer size problem on Windows 2000

10. opengl + windows 2000

11. OpenGL 1.2 on Windows 2000

12. Windows 2000 OpenGL

13. Windows 2000 and OpenGL