PC Graphics boards for OpenGL work under Linux and Windows NT

PC Graphics boards for OpenGL work under Linux and Windows NT

Post by Scott Hofma » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking to get a mid-range graphics board for my PentiumPro PC to
accelerate some OpenGL work I'm doing. I'm currently using Mesa, but I'm not
adverse to using someone else's implementation of OpenGL. After doing some
market research, it seems that most people are using 3Dfx Voodoo-based boards,
but both the Rendition V2200 chip (used in the Hercules Thriller3D board) and
the NVidia RIVA128 chip (used in the Diamond Viper 330, the STB Velocity 128,
and the Canopus Total3D 128V) spec out better than the 3Dfx Voodoo Rush
chipset.

My requirements are these: 3D acceleration in a window, OpenGL support,
Windows NT support, and Linux support would be a big plus, but is negotiable.
Does anyone have any experience with OpenGL and V2200- or RIVA128-based
graphics cards? Thanks!

scott

--
J. Scott Hofmann

1. glReadPixels(): works under Windows 95, doesn't work under Windows NT

I'm using glReadPixels() to retrieve the contents of the framebuffer after
drawing an image with OpenGL, so the image can be saved to disk.  It works
fine when running under Windows 95, but, when running the same code under
Windows NT, all I get is a black image.  Is anyone out there aware of any
differences in the 95 / NT implementations of OpenGL?

Thanks is advance,

Timothy M. Shead

2. GIF creation.

3. Which graphics board for OpenGL on NT?

4. Copywrite stuff

5. PC Magazine review of OpenGL cards for Windows 95 / NT in June 25 edition

6. Direct Mail Templates?

7. Replay

8. OpenGL for PC graphics cards and Linux drivers?

9. Mixing double buffered OpenGL and Windows GDI graphics (on Win NT)

10. OpenGL NT 3.51 app won't work under NT 4.0

11. WINDOWS COSTS, BLENDER FOR WINDOWS COSTS, LINUX IS FREE, BLENDER FOR LINUX IS FREE,

12. IBM techexplorer Version 3.0 Preview Release 1: Windows 95/98/NT, Macintosh, Linux, AIX, Solaris, SGI