Stencil buffer & Voodoo3 3000

Post by Roman E. Marchenk » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 01:13:10

Hi all!
Help me please with my small problem.
I have voodoo3 3000 graphic card, and i can't execute programs using stencil
buffer - reflections and shadows tutorials from NeHe. Autor tells about that
tutorials did not run on the old voodoo cards (voodoo2 and 1) because this
cards does not support stencil buffer. As I know Voodoo3 supports it. Then
why I see just black screen on my monitor?

P.S. Sorry for my English :)

--
?????, ?? T????

Post by Roman E. Marchenk » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 01:14:13

Hi all!
Help me please with my small problem.
I have voodoo3 3000 graphic card, and i can't execute programs using stencil
buffer - reflections and shadows tutorials from NeHe. Autor tells about that
tutorials did not run on the old voodoo cards (voodoo2 and 1) because this
cards does not support stencil buffer. As I know Voodoo3 supports it. Then
why I see just black screen on my monitor?

P.S. Sorry for my English :)

--
Roman Marchenko

Post by Phil Frisbie, Jr » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:20:25

> Hi all!
> Help me please with my small problem.
> I have voodoo3 3000 graphic card, and i can't execute programs using stencil
> buffer - reflections and shadows tutorials from NeHe. Autor tells about that
> tutorials did not run on the old voodoo cards (voodoo2 and 1) because this
> cards does not support stencil buffer. As I know Voodoo3 supports it. Then
> why I see just black screen on my monitor?

The Voodoo3 does not support stencil buffer. You have been misinformed.

Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Hawk Software
http://www.hawksoft.com

Post by Wolfgang Draxinge » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 04:12:43

>>Hi all!
>>Help me please with my small problem.
>>I have voodoo3 3000 graphic card, and i can't execute programs using stencil
>>buffer - reflections and shadows tutorials from NeHe. Autor tells about that
>>tutorials did not run on the old voodoo cards (voodoo2 and 1) because this
>>cards does not support stencil buffer. As I know Voodoo3 supports it. Then
>>why I see just black screen on my monitor?

> The Voodoo3 does not support stencil buffer. You have been misinformed.

> Phil Frisbie, Jr.
> Hawk Software
> http://www.hawksoft.com

Right, to my best knowledge the Permedia 2 was the first consumer 3D
chip supporting a stencil buffer.

| +----------------+ WOLFGANG DRAXINGER          |
| | ,-.   DARKSTAR | lead programmer             |

| | `-' / GAMES /                                |
| +----+''''''''     http://www.darkstargames.de |

Stencil buffer & Voodoo3 3000

Post by LaVekki » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:34:48

Quote:> Hi all!
> Help me please with my small problem.
> I have voodoo3 3000 graphic card, and i can't execute programs using
> stencil buffer - reflections and shadows tutorials from NeHe. Autor tells
> about that tutorials did not run on the old voodoo cards (voodoo2 and 1)
> because this cards does not support stencil buffer. As I know Voodoo3
> supports it. Then why I see just black screen on my monitor?

> P.S. Sorry for my English :)

Stencil buffer SHOULD be supported on Voodoo 4 and 5 (but i m not sure)

Post by Roman E. Marchenk » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:47:58

> Stencil buffer SHOULD be supported on Voodoo 4 and 5 (but i m not sure)

Thanks, I know. But I understand this very late :))

--
WBR, Roman Marchenko

Post by LaVekki » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:03:53

>> Stencil buffer SHOULD be supported on Voodoo 4 and 5 (but i m not sure)
> Thanks, I know. But I understand this very late :))

You can SIMULATE the stencil buffer throught the Z buffer, but it's not
trivial and with a 16 bit Z buffer precision issues will make thing worse