How do I create an OpenGL (GLUT) window with no border (on Windows)

How do I create an OpenGL (GLUT) window with no border (on Windows)

Post by jmellb » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:05:12

I'm trying to create an application that displays in a rectangle in the
center of
the screen without any of the ordinary window border or decorations.
(This
is on WinNT/2000.) Its going to be a largely transparent window
because there will be another program running behind it. I can't find
any
call in GLUT to create windows without borders. (This is probably OS
specific anyway?) Is there any mechanism in GLUT to do this,
or do I need to start using (non-transportable) OS functions to
directly create the window?

Thanks,

Post by Frans Boum » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:27:58

> I'm trying to create an application that displays in a rectangle in the
> center of
> the screen without any of the ordinary window border or decorations.
> (This
> is on WinNT/2000.) Its going to be a largely transparent window
> because there will be another program running behind it. I can't find
> any
> call in GLUT to create windows without borders. (This is probably OS
> specific anyway?) Is there any mechanism in GLUT to do this,
> or do I need to start using (non-transportable) OS functions to
> directly create the window?

    You can't do that with GLUT.
    THe only borderless window you can create with GLUT is the fullscreen
    popup window, but as you said, that's not what you want.

    You can ofcourse hack the GLUT sourcecode to create a popup borderless
    window instead of the normal window it creates now.

    If you want an OpenGL canvas ON a dialog somewhere, for example
    in the middle of a dialog, create a control, f.e. a label, of the
    size of the opengl piece on the window, then grab the hWnd handle
    of that control, and use that to create a rendercontext.
    The DemoGL sourcecode contains that to produce an opengl canvas
    on the about dialog.

        FB
        www.demogl.com

1. Creating Fullscreen-OpenGL-Window under Windows...

Hi

I have a little Problem creating a Fullscreen OpenGL-capable Window under
Windows XP... I looked around and used the most common method I found
(ChangeDisplaySettings) but I get very strange results from it..

After switching Back and forth four times a BSOD and an immediate Reboot of
my Machine occurs..

So far so bad..

Is this the recommended Way of  changing to Fullscreen-Mode with OpenGL (I
come from DirectX originally) .. Or could I use DirectDraw to Switch to
Fullscreen ?

Greets and Thank you very much

Julien Koenen
Software Developer

2. Q: 3D-plotting lib based on OpenGL?

3. No-Border windows in Opengl

4. Sharing a TBitmap With a TThread

5. GLUT for Windows NT and Windows 95

6. Why is nVidia slow on glDrawPixels?

7. 2 OpenGL windows at the same time in GLUT

8. IMPORTANTE COLLABORAZIONE!!

9. OpenGl without glut on windows?

10. Porting a OPENGL (GLUT) program (LINUX) => (Windows)

11. OpenGL on Windows without GLUT

12. Setting up OpenGL/Glut under Microsoft Windows

13. OpenGL, GLUT, and Windows