Overlay/underlay planes in Microsoft implementation

Overlay/underlay planes in Microsoft implementation

Post by Francis Irvi » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Under Windows NT, using Visual C++ 5, I am trying to user underlay and
overlay planes.

The problem is that calling wglCreateLayerContext always returns a
NULL handle, except when iLayerPlane=0 (then it behaves as
wglCreateContext).

I have asked for, and received, a pixel format with bReserved set.
wglDescribeLayerPlane also returns False for every layer, even
iLayerPlane=0.

Are overlay/underlay planes implemented yet?

Francis.

Post by Ross Cunni » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Under Windows NT, using Visual C++ 5, I am trying to user underlay and
> overlay planes.
> The problem is that calling wglCreateLayerContext always returns a
> NULL handle, except when iLayerPlane=0 (then it behaves as
> wglCreateContext).
> I have asked for, and received, a pixel format with bReserved set.
> wglDescribeLayerPlane also returns False for every layer, even
> iLayerPlane=0.
> Are overlay/underlay planes implemented yet?

Overlay/underlay planes are not implemented in the Microsoft software
rasterization paths.  Some hardware manufacturers support Installable
Client Drivers (ICDs) which support overlays or underlays.  Usually they
advertise this fact; contact your hardware vendor for more information.

Ross Cunniff
Hewlett-Packard Graphics Products Lab

1. overlay / underlay / cursor / popup planes

I am an old timer returning to the apparently dead world of OpenGL
extensions on SGI boxes.

In the old days you could use various auxilary drawable planes in addition
to your base drawable (generally
a deep RGBA buffer).

I am working on some funny code that I have decied to ditch the widgits, and
I gave up on glut, so I am
back to X and GlX. The docs are ancient and the terminology contradictory.

Now, how do I get a list of GL drawables programatically ? XGetVisuals
returns lots of visuals, but how to
i determine which are GlX ? There is a pointer to extension data; how do I
use it ? Where is it defined for SGI extension
visuals ? Is there a way to get it in OpenGL without querying each property
for each visual ? Perhaps some sample code for
xglinfo or something like that. I have an Octane 2 with V12 graphics and
xglfinfo

I noticed some code fragments for drawing into cursor/underlay/popup planes
mentioned in the developers toolbox,
but it is from 1992 and uses direct access to X sgi extension atoms. Is
there any more recient code or abi ?

Now for my main problem: How to I get / set / swap overlay colormaps ? I
Once I find an overlay visual, how to I read the default colormap ?
Set it ?
swap it ?

Do I allocate a new colormap to read the colormap ?
WHy allocate ?
How to I get at the Xcolor cells ?

Dr. K

2. Gnuplot-3.8c-pm3d:compilation error(bug?)

3. underlay/overlay planes in NT

4. IFILM

5. Overlay/Underlay Planes ???

6. .DL player

7. Mesa implementation Vs Microsoft implementation.

8. Training Registry - Directory of Graphics training resources

9. Overlay/Underlay Buffers in OpenGl

10. rsh of GL program lacks underlay planes

11. Using underlay planes in Open Inventor and OpenGL

12. OpenGL overlay & underlay planes under NT?

13. Hidden surface problems using Microsoft implementation