Open Source Scene Graph Libraries

Post by Paul Matthe » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:11:35

G'Day All,

Has anyone compared and is willing to recommend a good Open Source
Scene Graph Library? There appears to be quite a few Coin3D, Gizmo3D,
PLIB, etc ... This is geared toward creating a game, rather than
scientic visualization.
--
Paul Matthews

Post by Konstantin Bauman » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:55:18

> G'Day All,

> Has anyone compared and is willing to recommend a good Open Source
> Scene Graph Library? There appears to be quite a few Coin3D, Gizmo3D,
> PLIB, etc ... This is geared toward creating a game, rather than
> scientic visualization.

A good C++-library for scientific visualization is VRS. Have a look at:

    http://www.vrs3d.org/

A new beta-version will be released soon...

Konstantin

1. scene graph to world , world to scene graph

Hi all,

I am having a little problem and I was wondering if someone could help
me find an efficient solution. I am building a scene graph for the
sole purpose of displaying some particle systems in a closed room.
here are a few questions that clarify the nature of the problem:

a) while I want to use the node transforms in order to rotate and
translate a particle emitter, the emitter should give the particle
system coordinates in world coords:

   // the force vector should be affected by the scene graph rotations
   // so the emitter is indeed rotated. the position vector, on
   // the other hand should be in world coordinates.
   system.CreateNewParticle(Vec3 pos, Vec3 force, float mass);

b) in order to draw particles, update particle position and check
collision
   I should know not only the position vector in world coordinates but
also
   the force vector in world coordinates.

any ideas on how to make the transformation in an efficient way
without, say, having to traverse the scene graph more then once? did I
miss some fundamental truth that would make life easier?

help most appreciated :)
Stan.

2. Corel Knowledge Base?

3. extensible scene graph library

4. Javascript tutorials to download?

5. Scene Graph library for BCB

6. Best way to make "indoor" light?

7. Please help: Open Inventor scene graph question...

8. Bryce Question

9. Need dynamic scene graph (Open Inventor)

10. Persistent Open Inventor Scene Graphs?

11. Drawbox: a new open source C++ graphics library

12. New open source raster image manipulation library

13. Any open source graphics library?