glut newbie question

Post by Mike Webe » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I will be developing a portion of an existing app to display 3D information.
I went to the www.opengl.org site and saw the glut section.  They recommend
using glut as an easy way to learn OpenGL.

_Is_ it easier?
Is it a replacement to OpenGL ?

Mike

--
All statements are of my opinion and concern.  They do not reflect the views
of my employer.

glut newbie question

Post by Michael Kenned » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Mike,

glut is an easy way to learn OpenGL.  There are two major advantages to
glut.  1. It covers up the (more) complicated commands required to open
a window or set a color pallete, etc. under your operating system.
2. It provides a way to make you code portable.  Since opening windows
in an X-Windows system is different from say Win95, you need to write
two programs for these systems.  But, glut removes these system
dependant commands and your code will (basically) compile on both
machines.

I'm kinda new also, so I probably left some significant stuff out.

> I will be developing a portion of an existing app to display 3D information.
> I went to the www.opengl.org site and saw the glut section.  They recommend
> using glut as an easy way to learn OpenGL.

> _Is_ it easier?
> Is it a replacement to OpenGL ?

> Mike

glut newbie question

Post by Dave Shreine » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I will be developing a portion of an existing app to display 3D information.
> I went to the www.opengl.org site and saw the glut section.  They recommend
> using glut as an easy way to learn OpenGL.

  answering in the reverse order ...

Quote:> Is it a replacement to OpenGL ?

   Not at all.  GLUT is complementary to OpenGL.  OpenGL is platform
dependant, but creating a window on a particular system generally
isn't ( there's X windows, Microsoft Windows, OS/2, BeOS ... you
get the idea ).  GLUT is a library which makes creating an OpenGL
window on a system easy, and portable.

   "GLUT - don't learn OpenGL without it" (tm)

Quote:> _Is_ it easier?

   Its most likely that using GLUT to learn is easier than using a
system's native window system.  Furthermore, it hides all the little
hitches that programming with the window system will toss at you.

   Hope that helps.

Thanx,
Dave

   Silicon Graphics, Inc.                            (650) 933-4899

glut newbie question

Post by Mike Webe » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Yes that does help.  Thanks very much.
Mike

>> I will be developing a portion of an existing app to display 3D
information.
>> I went to the www.opengl.org site and saw the glut section.  They
recommend
>> using glut as an easy way to learn OpenGL.

>  answering in the reverse order ...

>> Is it a replacement to OpenGL ?

>   Not at all.  GLUT is complementary to OpenGL.  OpenGL is platform
>dependant, but creating a window on a particular system generally
>isn't ( there's X windows, Microsoft Windows, OS/2, BeOS ... you
>get the idea ).  GLUT is a library which makes creating an OpenGL
>window on a system easy, and portable.

>   "GLUT - don't learn OpenGL without it" (tm)

>> _Is_ it easier?

>   Its most likely that using GLUT to learn is easier than using a
>system's native window system.  Furthermore, it hides all the little
>hitches that programming with the window system will toss at you.

>   Hope that helps.

>Thanx,
>Dave

>   Silicon Graphics, Inc.                            (650) 933-4899

1. GLUT newbie question

Ok, stupid newbie question:

I'm just starting to play around with the GLUT libs, and have been trying to
modify an example program I downloaded to run fullscreen (most of the
examples I've found, and tutorials, etc are geared for apps running in a
Window).

It seemed easy enough to get it to run in game mode, giving me a fullscreen
window, however, I've been pulling my hair out over this for a couple days,
and must say I can't find any online info about what is different about this
app after I enter game mode.

The problem:

This program allows me to draw a series of 2D points on the screen with the
mouse (http://nate.scuzzy.net/gltut/2dpoints.cpp)

Works fine in a window, but as soon as it's running in Game mode, no
points...

I've tried using various keys to draw points at random spots on the screen
(as I thought it might be some bizarre mouse capture problem -- developing
under windows at present), and still can't get any points to show up. I
managed to draw one point, only in the routine where the program draws the
axes initially.

I added a line like cout << '\a'; (PC speaker beep) in the 'Display'
routine, and when I quit the program, I get all the beeps..

Is the issue that windows is messing things up, so that it never sends my
program the glutPostRedisplay(); message (I'm borrowing a little from my
Win32 days, but I assume that's how these functions work -- like Win32
callback functions)??

Is the fullscreen mode the issue (as windows sends the messages fine when
the same app runs in a window)?

I'd appreciate any pointers anyone has, or maybe a reference to some online
docs.

Thanks in advance,

_________________________

2. normals!

3. GLut Newbie question, how to stop the DOS window under NT?

4. Masked blitting

5. glut/newbie c++ question...

6. Laptop performance

7. GLUT termination question (newbie)

8. Help!

9. newbie GLUT question

10. Newbie with newbie questions

11. Newbie newbie questions

12. This may sound as a newbie question when really i'm not actually a newbie :)

13. NEWBIE NEWBIE question