OpenGL on DEC Alpha 3000/300LX

Post by Jason Patterso » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

A couple of months ago I posted to various newsgroups to ask whether
DEC's OpenGL would work on the standard HX graphics system of my DEC
3000/300LX. A DEC engineer replied and said that DEC's OpenGL worked on
all graphics systems, using a software-only implementation if necessary.

So I ordered an Open3D license, which arrived today.

I just tried installing DEC Open3D 420 on my DEC 3000/300LX (with
standard HX graphics) running Digital UNIX 4.0. The subsets all
installed fine, and the GLX X server extension seems to be present, but
running xglinfo reports that *NONE* of the visuals support OpenGL.
Similarly, all other OpenGL apps report that they cannot find a suitable
visual.

What is the real situation regarding DEC's OpenGL and the HX graphics
system of the DEC 3000/300LX? Can DEC's OpenGL be made to work on this
machine?

JASON PATTERSON

 Imagine that CRAY decides to make a personal computer. It contains 16
 Alpha based processors executing in parallel, has 800 megabytes of RAM,
 9 Gigabytes of disk storage, a resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, does
 24bit 3D graphics in realtime, relies entirely on voice recognition for
 input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300. What is the first
 question the computer community asks?

 "Is it DOS compatible?"

Post by Richard Reading » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> A couple of months ago I posted to various newsgroups to ask whether
> DEC's OpenGL would work on the standard HX graphics system of my DEC
> 3000/300LX. A DEC engineer replied and said that DEC's OpenGL worked on
> all graphics systems, using a software-only implementation if necessary.

Check the release notes, section 1.4.2.3. You need to configure Open3D as
for a PowerStorm 3D10 graphics card.

Richard
--

1. DEC Alpha asks: Lightwave's OpenGL?

Hey Folks,

I'm in the Commodity Graphics group at DECWest (a stone's throw from
Microsoft.)  My job, and the focus of our group, is to make commodity
graphics cards (like Matrox) go really fast on Windows NT Alpha.  Currently
we are working on OpenGL, and we will probably be working on Direct3D in
the future.

What do you think of Lightwave's new OpenGL support?  Is it a good feature?
 Does it help your work a lot, or is it not that relevant?  How's the speed
of OpenGL on the platform you're using?

Cheers,
--
Brandon J. Van Every       |  Free3d: old code never dies!  :-)
                           |  Starter code for GNU Copyleft projects.
DEC Graphics & Multimedia  |

2. Seeking graphics artists for new games releases

3. problem with DEC Alpha, OpenGL, and threads

4. glPolygonOffset

5. OpenGL on DEC Alpha with HX gfx

6. Scratches and false color

7. FS: LW for DEC ALPHA and ALPHA