fast textures

Post by Arnfried Grieser » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

When I use textures my application renders only half as fast
as without them. I guess there must be a way to speed up the
rendering process by using the SGI texture memory. But how
can I specify which memory to use.

Now I reserve a part of the main memory and load an image in
it. Is there now way to tell OpenGL which hardware it should use.
Or can you give me some hints how to develop a high performance
texture rendering process?

Arnfried Griesert

fast textures

Post by Dave Shreine » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:> When I use textures my application renders only half as fast
> as without them. I guess there must be a way to speed up the
> rendering process by using the SGI texture memory. But how
> can I specify which memory to use.

   You don't mention the platform you're working on.  On an SGI,
except for the O2, texture memory is part of the graphics subsystem.
If its not present, the machine will use a software rasteriazation
for texturing.  I don't know all other vendors platforms, but I'm
guessing that its the same for most workstation type machines.

Quote:> Now I reserve a part of the main memory and load an image in
> it. Is there now way to tell OpenGL which hardware it should use.
> Or can you give me some hints how to develop a high performance
> texture rendering process?

   Once again, hardware texturing relies on your hardware.  In OpenGL,
the best approach is to use texture objects, i.e. glBindTexture().
If there's hardware texture support, and the driver you're using
supports, then hardware texturing is pretty much automatic in OpenGL.

   Hope that helps.

Thanx,
Dave

   Silicon Graphics, Inc.                            (650) 933-4899

fast textures

Post by tong xi » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> When I use textures my application renders only half as fast
> as without them. I guess there must be a way to speed up the
> rendering process by using the SGI texture memory. But how
> can I specify which memory to use.

> Now I reserve a part of the main memory and load an image in
> it. Is there now way to tell OpenGL which hardware it should use.
> Or can you give me some hints how to develop a high performance
> texture rendering process?

> Arnfried Griesert

Hi,1. Using Texture object to bind the texture to your object. The SGI
machine will manage the swap of the texture memory instead yourself.
2. If you use Impact or octane machine, using subtexture extension will
be fast!
3. On Infinite Reality, there are some new features such that clipmap.
That will benefit the application that roaring on  large textures.
Wish it is helpful to you program.

1. Fast texturing for real-time imaging

Greetings,

We would like to render images as texture maps at a rate
of about 10 frames per second.  The image data will typically
be 256x256 32-bit float.  A couple of questions:
1) Can the data be rendered at this rate on an RE2?
2) I noticed the OpenGL call gltexImage2d() can accept
   float data, but I couldn't find an analogous routine
   under GL.  Is there a 2D routine for GL and I missed it?
3) Would I notice a performance decrease if I use OpenGL
   rather than GL?
4) For this, we'll probably have to use real-time interrupts (REACT)
   to handle the incoming data.  Can I have the real-time
   interrupt routine generate an event for the Motif/GL (or Motif/OpenGL)
   program running the GUI?  Or maybe there's a better way
   to shuffle the real-time data through the GUI to the RE?

Thanks in advance!

2. THE BEST CASH SYSTEM ON THE WEB

3. Fast texture mapping routine needed.

4. depth shadows

5. Fast Texture Mapping

6. Call for papers: chaos/fractals/graphics

7. Need fast Texture Mapping Algorithm

8. Is a direct download into PSP5 possible from an Olympus 2000Z?

9. Fast texturing of a sphere - software only?

10. How is fast texture mapping done?

11. Fast Texture mapping

12. need simple but fast texture mapping routine

13. MMX and Fast Texture Mapping