Game's list on opengl.org is not up to date

Game's list on opengl.org is not up to date

Post by Richard Ivars » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:51:16

Why is
http://www.opengl.org/users/apps_hardware/applications/games.html
so out-dated? (It's from 09/07/2001 !)

There are quite a few new games which use OpenGL but aren't listed
there. For example: Lucasart's nice "Jedi Knights II - Jedi Outcast"
uses OpenGL and got top ratings in game magazines (I read it also
sells well so far). Also I hear that Blizzard's new Warcraft-III used
OpenGL (anybody can confirm this please?). If this is true, another
game with huge potential and a big presence in the press uses OpenGL,
which is good for the whole OpenGL community.
And so on.

One shouldn't let the list get too outtdated. Whenever a decision for
PC games has to be done whether to use OpenGL or Direct3d (which
sucks) in the development studios, such a list could with top game
titles could influence the decision takers. Let's put it in another
way: in our Lemming oriented societies the masses run to those with
the "biggest list"... I don't think this is good, but the OpenGl
community shouldn't ignore this behaviour.
Maybe it doesn't... :-)

-ric

Game's list on opengl.org is not up to date

Post by Andre Stei » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:29:33

Hi,

Quote:> Why is
> http://www.opengl.org/users/apps_hardware/applications/games.html
> so out-dated? (It's from 09/07/2001 !)

Perhaps you should try to contact the webmaster(s) of opengl.org and
tell them about this. We can't do anything here as we don't maintain the
site.

Quote:> There are quite a few new games which use OpenGL but aren't listed
> there. For example: Lucasart's nice "Jedi Knights II - Jedi Outcast"
> uses OpenGL and got top ratings in game magazines (I read it also
> sells well so far). Also I hear that Blizzard's new Warcraft-III used
> OpenGL (anybody can confirm this please?). If this is true, another
> game with huge potential and a big presence in the press uses OpenGL,
> which is good for the whole OpenGL community.
> And so on.

There are many good games that use OpenGL mostly those that use ID's
Quake II and III engine. John Carmack is a fan of OGL so it's normal
that his engines will use this API. As far as I know Doom III will also
be using OpenGL.

Quote:> One shouldn't let the list get too outtdated. Whenever a decision for
> PC games has to be done whether to use OpenGL or Direct3d (which
> sucks) in the development studios, such a list could with top game
> titles could influence the decision takers. Let's put it in another
> way: in our Lemming oriented societies the masses run to those with
> the "biggest list"... I don't think this is good, but the OpenGl
> community shouldn't ignore this behaviour.
> Maybe it doesn't... :-)

No I don't think so. At the end, the developers are the people that
choose their favourite API. It's not the publisher that might look at
those mysterious lists who chooses whether we gonna take D3D or OGL. The
developers, the programmers are those who code the game so they will
choose! What is a little more important is whether the API is supported
by most graphics cards or not. It is often said that most graphics cards
have better drivers for D3D than for OGL. But as most people have ATI or
NVidia ( best OGL drivers ) there is not great difference. Remedy for
example chose D3D for Max Payne as they thought that D3D had greater
support.. Finally everyone has to decide for his own what API he would
like to use. Of course in this newsgroup it will be OpenGL :)

See you,
-Andr.

--
http://www.steinsoft.net
        cout << "Happy Coding!" << endl;

Post by C Lun » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:28:47

Quote:>There are quite a few new games which use OpenGL but aren't listed
>there. For example: Lucasart's nice "Jedi Knights II - Jedi Outcast"
>uses OpenGL and got top ratings in game magazines (I read it also
>sells well so far). Also I hear that Blizzard's new Warcraft-III used
>OpenGL (anybody can confirm this please?).

Since WCIII is being released for OS X, it'll *have* to use openGL - at
least on that platform. What it'll be using on Windows -- no idea.

--

C Lund, Oslo
http://www.notam02.no/~clund/

Post by fungu » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 01:49:25

> Since WCIII is being released for OS X, it'll *have* to use openGL - at
> least on that platform. What it'll be using on Windows -- no idea.

In any complex program the underlying API becomes
almost irrelevant. The actual inner loop which
passes triangles to the graphics card can usually
be rewritten to use a different API in a matter
of hours.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Post by Wolfgang Draxinge » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 06:04:47

> In any complex program the underlying API becomes
> almost irrelevant. The actual inner loop which
> passes triangles to the graphics card can usually
> be rewritten to use a different API in a matter
> of hours.

It can be even more exchangeable:
My own 3D engine is completely module based. There is a core that loads
the modules, which can contain "managers" and "executers".
The managers are responsible for memory management operation control
etc. A executer can e.g. be a renderer. Normally a module contains the
"manager" together with the appropriate "executers".

I developed that structure to support as many different platforms and
output devices with their highlights as possible. E.g. EAX 2 support for
the recent SB cards or a special >=GeForce3 module that uses the special
features of this card. So you cannot tell that my engine uses only a
specific API. And I think other engines will have similair plug in
interfaces. Already the Half-Life engine had 4 different renderers:
OpenGL, Glide, Direct3D, Software

| +----------------+ WOLFGANG DRAXINGER          |
| | ,-.   DARKSTAR | lead programmer             |

| | `-' / GAMES /                                |
| +----+''''''''     http://www.darkstargames.de |

Post by Jon Lee » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:01:30

>Why is
>http://www.opengl.org/users/apps_hardware/applications/games.html
>so out-dated? (It's from 09/07/2001 !)

    Because Tony, the webmaster, has a finite amount of time to maintain
the site. He relies on people sending in information to help him keep
things up to date. So, if you know of new content that should go there,

posted promptly.

    Jon Leech
    SGI

Game's list on opengl.org is not up to date

Post by Richard Ivars » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:56:33

Thanks to all posters.
I'll e-mail Tony about Jedi Outcast and Warcraft III (which indeed uses OpenGL).

-ric

[..]

>     Because Tony, the webmaster, has a finite amount of time to maintain
> the site. He relies on people sending in information to help him keep
> things up to date. So, if you know of new content that should go there,

> posted promptly.

>     Jon Leech
>     SGI

1. WORD-OF-MOUTH.ORG DO NOT EMAIL LIST CONFIRMATION

YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN ADDED TO OUR DO NOT EMAIL LIST.

YOU WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE REPORT SUBMISSION EMAILS WHEN REPORTS ARE FILED
THAT MAY BE ABOUT YOU OR SOMEONE INTERESTING TO YOU.

Here is a copy of the Do Not Email Agreement that you agreed to by
submitting your email address to our Do Not Email List -

DO NOT EMAIL AGREEMENT - Word-of-Mouth.Org makes a reasonable effort to
inform you via email when reports are submitted about you, and when other
users search for reports that are about you.

The addition of your email address to this Do Not Email List will not stop
user-related email like daily search results or inquiries from other users
regarding reports you have authored; you must use the links found at our
"Edit User Info"page to turn off daily searching or delete your user
account.

By clicking the "I AGREE - ADD ME TO YOUR DO NOT EMAIL LIST" button below,
you are giving up any rights that you may or may not have to be informed
by us via email in the event that a report is submitted about you or a
user searches for reports about you.

 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot

]]]]

2. Demo now available for QwikMarx

3. To those who who've ordered messiah (no, not a ship date)

4. 3D "language"

5. What's happened to www.opengl.org ???

6. Strata3Dto x

7. Hash's AM and OpenGL

8. OpenGL Gaming Mailing Lists

9. OpenGL Game Development Mailing List

10. OpenGL Game Developers List Running Again!

11. OpenGL Game Development Mailing List

12. GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES