No OpenGL on an xterm

No OpenGL on an xterm

Post by Steven Cha » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:22:13



Hello all,

I am trying to display OpenGL graphics (the "GLAZE", downloaded from
www.sun.com) on an X-terminal.  However, upon executing GLAZE, my screen
darkens and produces an error message: "Failed to obtain license for
feature: GLX".

When I execute GLAZE on console, however, the application just runs
fine.

As I am very new to OpenGL, any intuitive diagnosis for my problem is
greatly appreciated.

FYI, 'pkginfo | grep OpenGL' produces the following list:
application SUNWafbgl      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Elite3D Support
application SUNWffbgl      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Creator Graphics (FFB)
Support
application SUNWglh        Sun OpenGL for Solaris Header Files
application SUNWglrt       Sun OpenGL for Solaris Runtime Libraries
application SUNWglrtu      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Platform Specific
Runtime Libs
application SUNWglsr       Sun OpenGL for Solaris Runtime Generic
Software
application SUNWglsrz      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Optimized SW
Rasterizer
application SUNWifbgl      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Expert3D Graphics
Support

--

Steven T. K. Chan
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 300-233  Earth and Space Sciences Division
California Institute of Technology  Phone:  818.354.7320
4800 Oak Grove Drive                Fax:    818.354.9476

 
 
 

No OpenGL on an xterm

Post by Paul Mart » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 01:57:28


It sounds like your X terminal doesn't support (or can't obtain a software
license for) the GLX extension. Info on GLX is at www.opengl.org.

What do you mean when you say you run it "on console"? If you mean, on your
local machine, and that works, then this is because your local machine
support GLX and your X terminal does not.
--

    Hewlett Packard TCD Personal Workstations Lab
    OpenGL FAQ: http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical.html
                http://www.frii.com/~martz/oglfaq


> Hello all,

> I am trying to display OpenGL graphics (the "GLAZE", downloaded from
> www.sun.com) on an X-terminal.  However, upon executing GLAZE, my screen
> darkens and produces an error message: "Failed to obtain license for
> feature: GLX".

> When I execute GLAZE on console, however, the application just runs
> fine.

> As I am very new to OpenGL, any intuitive diagnosis for my problem is
> greatly appreciated.

> FYI, 'pkginfo | grep OpenGL' produces the following list:
> application SUNWafbgl      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Elite3D Support
> application SUNWffbgl      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Creator Graphics (FFB)
> Support
> application SUNWglh        Sun OpenGL for Solaris Header Files
> application SUNWglrt       Sun OpenGL for Solaris Runtime Libraries
> application SUNWglrtu      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Platform Specific
> Runtime Libs
> application SUNWglsr       Sun OpenGL for Solaris Runtime Generic
> Software
> application SUNWglsrz      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Optimized SW
> Rasterizer
> application SUNWifbgl      Sun OpenGL for Solaris Expert3D Graphics
> Support

> --

> Steven T. K. Chan
> Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 300-233  Earth and Space Sciences Division
> California Institute of Technology  Phone:  818.354.7320
> 4800 Oak Grove Drive                Fax:    818.354.9476



 
 
 

No OpenGL on an xterm

Post by Paul Mart » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 04:06:31



Quote:> It sounds like your X terminal doesn't support (or can't obtain a software
> license for) the GLX extension. Info on GLX is at www.opengl.org.

Note that some Unix OpenGL implementations, such as HP's, can support GLX on
the client side. So, in the case you are experiencing, where the remote
display does not support GLX protocol, HP's OpenGL implementation would
render locally and display the images remotely using XPutImage.
--

    Hewlett Packard TCD Personal Workstations Lab
    OpenGL FAQ: http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical.html
                http://www.frii.com/~martz/oglfaq
 
 
 

No OpenGL on an xterm

Post by drcolos.. » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 02:37:28






> > It sounds like your X terminal doesn't support (or can't obtain a
software
> > license for) the GLX extension. Info on GLX is at www.opengl.org.

> Note that some Unix OpenGL implementations, such as HP's, can support
GLX on
> the client side. So, in the case you are experiencing, where the
remote
> display does not support GLX protocol, HP's OpenGL implementation
would
> render locally and display the images remotely using XPutImage.

Does the local render use the HP's hardware acceleration?  If
so, is this rendering mechanism available to user applications (e.g.
for HW-assisted rendering of a 4096x2048 buffer in memory for
writing to a file).

What happens if the HP has true color and the remote display has
only 8-bit?  Does it dither down, or does it just bomb out?

--G

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

 
 
 

No OpenGL on an xterm

Post by Steven Cha » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 02:35:30


Hi Paul,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.  It turns out that in order for my
xterm to display any OpenGL graphics, I need a special license from the
vendor, which is NCD in this case.  In my situation, the x server
resides on one machine (Sun) and OpenGL is installed on another machine
(another Sun).  When I run OpenGL console on the latter, I have no
problem.  It is the NCDware (on the x server side) that restricts me
from using OpenGL properly.




> > It sounds like your X terminal doesn't support (or can't obtain a software
> > license for) the GLX extension. Info on GLX is at www.opengl.org.

> Note that some Unix OpenGL implementations, such as HP's, can support GLX on
> the client side. So, in the case you are experiencing, where the remote
> display does not support GLX protocol, HP's OpenGL implementation would
> render locally and display the images remotely using XPutImage.
> --

>     Hewlett Packard TCD Personal Workstations Lab
>     OpenGL FAQ: http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical.html
>                 http://www.frii.com/~martz/oglfaq

--

Steven T. K. Chan
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 300-233  Earth and Space Sciences Division
California Institute of Technology  Phone:  818.354.7320
4800 Oak Grove Drive                Fax:    818.354.9476

 
 
 

No OpenGL on an xterm

Post by Paul Mart » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 07:23:09



Quote:> > Note that some Unix OpenGL implementations, such as HP's, can support
> GLX on
> > the client side. So, in the case you are experiencing, where the
> remote
> > display does not support GLX protocol, HP's OpenGL implementation
> would
> > render locally and display the images remotely using XPutImage.

> Does the local render use the HP's hardware acceleration?

(If you had local hardware for rendering, why would you want to display
remotely?! None of our users have ever asked for this functionality.)

No. Rendering is done in software in this case. Rendering using hw, then
BLTing to RAM, whould be very sluggish (HP does not have UMA).

Quote:> What happens if the HP has true color and the remote display has
> only 8-bit?  Does it dither down, or does it just bomb out?

Since XPutImage is used to transmit the 24bit image to the remote display,
standard X semantics apply. I think that means dither, though it's literally
been years since I worked with an 8bit color X server, so I can't say for
sure. Certainly it does not just punt.
--

    Hewlett Packard TCD Personal Workstations Lab
    OpenGL FAQ: http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical.html
                http://www.frii.com/~martz/oglfaq
 
 
 

1. Problems getting | and @ in xterm

Hi,

My setup is the following: xterm running on a remote HP-UX or a AIX system with
the display set to a SGI X-Server. Keyboard is German. So far no problems.


Alt-Gr key to get them. This works well in local windows.

When I start the xterm on the HP with the display set to the SGI, it seems, that
the Alt-Gr key is not getting through. I only get the keys without it, that is <

Running xterm on AIX with the display on the SGI I do not get anything at all
for those keys.

I looked through several pages, but did not find anything how to solve that
problem.

Does anybody know how to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Dieter W?rz

2. Help with boolean operations

3. configuring an Indy as an Xterm

4. STOCK & CUSTOM 3D MODELS - HIGHEST QUALITY

5. compiling xterm.

6. Mac Lightwave 5.5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

7. Remote display of SGI onto brand-X XTerm?

8. Video card facts -- who has them?

9. Xterm for DOS or Windows?

10. DOS to xterm communications

11. WANTED: advice how to build xterm.

12. xterm for westward terminal ?

13. Change xterm's color