trying to compile oss opengl

Post by V-ma » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 11:41:39

I downlaoded the sample implementation of opengl. Tried to compile glu
without using the makefiles. It seems as if a few things are not
defined such as
GLU_INVALID_OPERATION
GL_BGR
GL_BGRA

THe last 2 are probably the same as GL_BGR_EXT and GL_BGRA_EXT but the
other is nowehere to be found.

V-man

trying to compile oss opengl

Post by Paul Mart » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 23:54:21

Quote:> I downlaoded the sample implementation of opengl. Tried to compile glu
> without using the makefiles. It seems as if a few things are not
> defined such as
> GLU_INVALID_OPERATION
> GL_BGR
> GL_BGRA

GL_BGR and GL_BGRA should both be declared in gl.h. I'm not familiar with
the GLU symbol, but I'd guess it is in glu.h.

The sample implementation is OpenGL 1.2 compliant. Do you have OpenGL 1.2
gl.h and glu.h, or are you trying to compile with the 1.1 versions of these
files? (This is just a guess, as I don't seem to have a copy of the SI and
can't get to the oss ftp site this morning. :-(. Hope it helps.)
--

    Hewlett Packard TCD Personal Workstations Lab
    OpenGL FAQ: http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical.html

Post by V-ma » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 07:40:54

> > I downlaoded the sample implementation of opengl. Tried to compile glu
> > without using the makefiles. It seems as if a few things are not
> > defined such as
> > GLU_INVALID_OPERATION
> > GL_BGR
> > GL_BGRA

> GL_BGR and GL_BGRA should both be declared in gl.h. I'm not familiar with
> the GLU symbol, but I'd guess it is in glu.h.

> The sample implementation is OpenGL 1.2 compliant. Do you have OpenGL 1.2
> gl.h and glu.h, or are you trying to compile with the 1.1 versions of these
> files? (This is just a guess, as I don't seem to have a copy of the SI and
> can't get to the oss ftp site this morning. :-(. Hope it helps.)

No, I'm on Windows (yes still!) and same boring problems so I edited
the files to add those. Not even glext.h defines them.
My glext.h says at the begining

/* Header file version number, required by OpenGL ABI for Linux */
#define GL_GLEXT_VERSION 7

I did a search in the SI directory (which is on my harddrive) and
there is no gl.h or glu.h
I have to spend a whole lot of my free time to get this thing to
compile one day. VC++ does not understand the makefiles which are
probably for gcc (but I guessed that before trying).

Off topic:
Apparently, the opengl.dll is capable of hardware acceleration??? I
want a software opengl 1.2 DLL. Is the SI opengl Windows "aware". Can
I compile and run under Windows?

V-man

trying to compile oss opengl

Post by Paul Mart » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 23:01:49

Quote:> I did a search in the SI directory (which is on my harddrive) and
> there is no gl.h or glu.h

Yeah, it looks like those files are built from perl scripts.

Quote:> VC++ does not understand the makefiles which are
> probably for gcc (but I guessed that before trying).

Isn't there a version of gmake for Windows?
--

Post by V-ma » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 06:58:25

> > I did a search in the SI directory (which is on my harddrive) and
> > there is no gl.h or glu.h

> Yeah, it looks like those files are built from perl scripts.

Build from what files and in what directory? I tried to read the man
that comes with SI but not seeing anything about compiling (what
compiler needed and so on).
I did a word search for #define GL_BGR of the entire SI and it appears
nowhere.
Did a search on oss.sgi website for gl.h and also at opengl.org and
they are nowehere to be found.

Quote:> > VC++ does not understand the makefiles which are
> > probably for gcc (but I guessed that before trying).

> Isn't there a version of gmake for Windows?

Probably not. I think I used that for my "System software" course.

I'm happy to say that I was able to produce a DLL with only a small
portion of GLU.

V-man

1. semi-Newbie trying to compile OpenGL

I`m trying my hardest to get a decent programming environment for OpenGL. I
have tried all the "free" GNU compilers (djGPP, LCC (ugh! no C++), Mingw32,
cygnuswin32) and Borland seems flaky at best from all the reports I here.

I am not a newbie to programming, only to programming on Win32 platforms
(DOS doesn`t seem appropriate anymore :) but it seems that there are no
decent systems available that don`t cost 100s if not 1000s.

All I want is a compiler, linker and all the necessary files to be able to
make OpenGL apps (I have glut etc.), tried and tested and known to work.

Basically, is anyone here using something other than VisualC++ or Borland
C-something succesfully?

I have no problem getting hold of the Microsoft SDKs, btw.

Thanks
--

Distributed Systems Support
Computer Centre

2. Feedback On CalComp 6x9 Drawing Slate II Graphics Tablet?

3. oss-opengl-glu and Mesa 4.0.1?

4. 16 bit screens show banding

5. trying to compile C program that will generate RIB for BMRT

6. Screen shots on Indigo?

7. Error when trying to compile a API C file

8. triangulation Algorithms: triangle stripes or triangles

9. Trying to get a simple function to compile

10. Crashes trying to compile

11. Newbie trying to compile, in Windows

12. trying to compile on FreeBSD WITHOUT_X11

13. Trying to compile gnuplot 3.7.1 with pm3d