*** CHROME ***

Post by Michal Kostrzew » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have been passive on this group for a while , but now I return with
something really cool....

Some time ago, when I was a newbie I wanted desperatly to learn
Direct3D. Now I HATE direct3D , becouse as all microsoft things it
want to do everything for you , just by one command. Anyway, after
I discovered OpenGL i saw a  thing (in D3D) which ,  for unknown
reasons I liked much. That was a metalic chrome effect...applied simply
as a texture-mapping type.

A few days ago  I decided to do similar in OGL.

SO HERE IT GOES....A twice as good as this in D3D, and 3 X faster....
My idea is to share this experience with you , and publish the
Fast Chrome Alghoritm to public. To see what I mean visit the site:
 http://friko4.onet.pl/wa/3dart . There , in the OpenGL section, is
a simple demo which shows this efect. Please, test it.  It is a short
file - about 90 KB . I think that the efect is really fine , and here
are the features included:

                1. FAST - the speed of a normal texture mapping!!!
                2. COOL - Comparable to efects on pro ray-tracers.
                3. SIMPLE - Yes, idea is completely wired... but
                also very simple.

There are two archives to download. The first one consist of a
data and an exe file for the users with MS openGl implementation
( OPENGL32.DLL, GLU32.DLL) . The second one has only one exe file
for users with SGI OGL libraries (OPENGL.DLL , GLU.DLL) . The second
exe should be unzipped in the directory with the data from the first
one.  This also is written on the site itself.

As I have said, I will publish the description of the alghoritm, but
first  of all I want to hear your comments, sugestions. I made this
"demo" as fast as I could so there may be a few bugs.

Hope to hear from you soon, please tell me what you think.

--
//**************************************************
//      MIKE_GL -> Michal Kostrzewa

//      http://friko4.onet.pl/wa/3dart
//      UIN:7014511
//**************************************************

*** CHROME ***

Post by Roger Gonzale » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have been passive on this group for a while , but now I return with
> something really cool....

> Some time ago, when I was a newbie I wanted desperatly to learn
> Direct3D. Now I HATE direct3D , becouse as all microsoft things it

yadda yadda yadda.

If you really want to move away from the M$ attitude, release your
source code.  I could care less about your "demo", and I'm certainly
not going to run some random .EXE file (not that it would do any
good for me in my Linux/Mesa/3dfx environment anyway.)  Otherwise,
you're not contributing to the group, you're just bragging.

IMHO, of course.

-Roger

Roger Gonzalez                    Datapult Communications

*** CHROME ***

Post by Johannes Beh » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I would like to try it out but unfortunately I have
just access to SGI or Solaris OpenGL boxes.

Are you going to release the source code ?

bye
  Johannes

float o=0.075,h=1.5,T,r,O,l,I;int _,L=80,s=3200;main(){for(;s%L||
(h-=o,T= -2),s;4 -(r=O*O)<(l=I*I)|++ _==L&&write(1,(--s%L?_<L?--_
%6:6:7)+"World! \n",1)&&(O=I=l=_=r=0,T+=o /2))O=I*2*O+h,I=l+T-r;}

> I have been passive on this group for a while , but now I return with
> something really cool....

> Some time ago, when I was a newbie I wanted desperatly to learn
> Direct3D. Now I HATE direct3D , becouse as all microsoft things it
> want to do everything for you , just by one command. Anyway, after
> I discovered OpenGL i saw a  thing (in D3D) which ,  for unknown
> reasons I liked much. That was a metalic chrome effect...applied simply
> as a texture-mapping type.

> A few days ago  I decided to do similar in OGL.

> SO HERE IT GOES....A twice as good as this in D3D, and 3 X faster....
> My idea is to share this experience with you , and publish the
> Fast Chrome Alghoritm to public. To see what I mean visit the site:
>  http://friko4.onet.pl/wa/3dart . There , in the OpenGL section, is
> a simple demo which shows this efect. Please, test it.  It is a short
> file - about 90 KB . I think that the efect is really fine , and here
> are the features included:

>            1. FAST - the speed of a normal texture mapping!!!
>            2. COOL - Comparable to efects on pro ray-tracers.
>            3. SIMPLE - Yes, idea is completely wired... but
>            also very simple.

> There are two archives to download. The first one consist of a
> data and an exe file for the users with MS openGl implementation
> ( OPENGL32.DLL, GLU32.DLL) . The second one has only one exe file
> for users with SGI OGL libraries (OPENGL.DLL , GLU.DLL) . The second
> exe should be unzipped in the directory with the data from the first
> one.  This also is written on the site itself.

> As I have said, I will publish the description of the alghoritm, but
> first  of all I want to hear your comments, sugestions. I made this
> "demo" as fast as I could so there may be a few bugs.

> Hope to hear from you soon, please tell me what you think.

> --
> //**************************************************
> // MIKE_GL -> Michal Kostrzewa

> // http://friko4.onet.pl/wa/3dart
> // UIN:7014511
> //**************************************************

1. Chrome Effects--Any Chrome Filters Out There???

Don't know of any filters, but I found a great easy technique for
creating gold text without filters.  Check out Laurie McCanna's
Photoshop Tips; specifically Tip #19, at
http://ww.mccannas.com/pshop2/tip19.htm

Her site has a lot of other good stuff too.

Another trick is to create a black to white gradient rectangle, copy it,
flip the copy, and stack it against the original.  This gives a look of
3D metal.  You can use it to fill text or a graphic.  I have also had
similar luck using black and white with the clouds filter.  These don't
look exactly like real shiny chrome, but may give you what you want.

2. Virtual Reality, Sept 20th.

3. Plugins on new system not working

4. PSP TUTORIALS GOLD-SILVER-CHROME TEXT and others

5. GIMP for Windows ?

6. PSP GOLD-SILVER-CHROME TEXT

7. rec.games programmer demise?

8. Digital Landscapes, no chrome balls