MS OpenGL vs SGI OpenGL - What are the advantages

MS OpenGL vs SGI OpenGL - What are the advantages

Post by Peter J. Wahl » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

For Windows NT, what are the differences between and advantages of
the OpenGL implementations by MS and SGI?  Is one faster?  By how
much?  Is one more complete or more up to the latest standards?

fax: 217-356-0818                   Make my day--send me a fax!
http://manip.crhc.uiuc.edu/~wahle     Better yet--send me cash!

Post by Juha Kivital » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00

--------------3EA86E945E3B96ABF144ED70

> For Windows NT, what are the differences between and advantages of
> the OpenGL implementations by MS and SGI?  Is one faster?  By how
> much?  Is one more complete or more up to the latest standards?
> --

> fax: 217-356-0818                   Make my day--send me a fax!
> http://manip.crhc.uiuc.edu/~wahle     Better yet--send me cash!

Our experiences concerning MS and SGI:

The memory requirements with SGI are much lower. Some reason
MS version reserves memory like crazy. In a small house model
I needed over 800MB of virtual memory. SGI has done better
job in that.

Unfortunaly there is no hardware accelerator support in the
SGI version.
I think SGI version is faster in non accelerated machines.

We haven't had any problems with the SGI version.

Regards,
Juha
--------------3EA86E945E3B96ABF144ED70

begin:          vcard
fn:             Juha Kivitalo
n:              Kivitalo;Juha
org:            Vertex Systems Oy
adr:            ;;;;;;

title:          Software Engineer
tel;work:
tel;fax:
tel;home:
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
end:            vcard

--------------3EA86E945E3B96ABF144ED70--

MS OpenGL vs SGI OpenGL - What are the advantages

Post by Marcus Lanken » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>For Windows NT, what are the differences between and advantages of
>the OpenGL implementations by MS and SGI?  Is one faster?  By how
>much?  Is one more complete or more up to the latest standards?

I've writte a little benchmark. It measures the fillrate by drawing a
few very large triangles. The triangles are texured and filtered. Here
are my results:

System: P166MMX, 32MB EDO

3dfx vodoo:             54 megapixel/sec
MS opengl (software):   0.11 megapixel/sec
SGI opengl (software):  0.33 megapixel/sec

Marcus Lankenau

Post by Emmanuel Mogene » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> >For Windows NT, what are the differences between and advantages of
> >the OpenGL implementations by MS and SGI?  Is one faster?  By how
> >much?  Is one more complete or more up to the latest standards?

> I've writte a little benchmark. It measures the fillrate by drawing a
> few very large triangles. The triangles are texured and filtered. Here
> are my results:

> System: P166MMX, 32MB EDO

> 3dfx vodoo:             54 megapixel/sec
> MS opengl (software):   0.11 megapixel/sec
> SGI opengl (software):  0.33 megapixel/sec

> Marcus Lankenau

Did you by chance try to benchmark 24bit bitmap drawing speed using
glDrawPixels ?

Last time I tried (which is quite a while ago),
the OpenGL Microsoft implementation was lagging far behind its
GDI counterpart (StretchDIBits).

And I'd love to know how fast the SGI implementation is
at just plain old blitting pixels in and out of RAM.

        - Mgix

MS OpenGL vs SGI OpenGL - What are the advantages

Post by Mad Pe » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>3dfx vodoo:         54 megapixel/sec
>MS opengl (software):   0.11 megapixel/sec
>SGI opengl (software):  0.33 megapixel/sec

Sorry if I seem like a moron but what's a "megapixel"?  The whole screen?

Pete Thompson (aka Mad Pete)
DigiPen Graduate - more info at:  www.digipen.com

Post by Richard Godbee, J » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>>3dfx vodoo:             54 megapixel/sec
>>MS opengl (software):   0.11 megapixel/sec
>>SGI opengl (software):  0.33 megapixel/sec

>Sorry if I seem like a moron but what's a "megapixel"?  The whole screen?

One million pixels.  Just like a megabyte is approximately a million
bytes.

--
Richard Godbee, Jr.

MS OpenGL vs SGI OpenGL - What are the advantages

Post by Folker Schame » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I found out for texturing in the copy mode,
SGI OpenGl is faster about factor 1.5 than MS-OpenGl,
but SGI OpenGL has significantly slower state changes and poly setup
times than MS-OpenGl.

Folker

Post by Jeff Shee » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I found out for texturing in the copy mode,
>SGI OpenGl is faster about factor 1.5 than MS-OpenGl,
>but SGI OpenGL has significantly slower state changes and poly setup
>times than MS-OpenGl.

>Folker

Also SGI says that MS OpenGL is faster at drawing points and lines.

Jeff Sheets

Post by Marcus Lanken » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>>3dfx vodoo:             54 megapixel/sec
>>MS opengl (software):   0.11 megapixel/sec
>>SGI opengl (software):  0.33 megapixel/sec

>Sorry if I seem like a moron but what's a "megapixel"?  The whole screen?

Sorry, my fault. I mean megatexel == 10^6 Texel.

Marcus

MS OpenGL vs SGI OpenGL - What are the advantages

Post by Allen Ak » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Improvements for state-change and setup time will appear in the next
release.  This is particularly important for the accelerator device
drivers that are currently under development.

Given the triangle throughput rates for the two implementations, I'm
not sure that triangle setup time is worse than MS OpenGL, though.
Perhaps we mean something different by that term.

Allen

MS OpenGL vs SGI OpenGL - What are the advantages

Post by Leath Mull » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Did you by chance try to benchmark 24bit bitmap drawing speed using
> glDrawPixels ?

I thought the SGI version was optimised for 16 bit... am I wrong?

Leathal.