I want advice: in game windows

Post by <- Chameleon -> » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:35:42

I am creating a library which creates in game windows (for customize
graphics, difficulty, sound etc...).
I want this library to support lot of window types such as transparent
windows etc.

Now I want your advice about OpenGL performance:

What is faster? Create textured polygons for each button, check box, radio
box, etc OR join all of these images to a BIG texture and create only one
polygon?

I believe second, but in my implementation the maximum texture coordinates
are 2048x2048. In the future maybe this is problem? (bigger monitors)

I start thinking this library when I saw in UT2002 textures with only the
buttons and check boxes.

Lot of thanks!

I want advice: in game windows

Post by Alex Mizrah » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:43:50

Hello, <-!
You wrote  on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:35:42 +0300:

 C> What is faster? Create textured polygons for each button, check box,
 C> radio box, etc OR join all of these images to a BIG texture and
 C> create only one polygon?

for modern hardware there is no difference - one polygon or 1000..

is there a need of different textures for each checkbox/button/radio? i
think one texture for font and one for different glyphs will be enough

With best regards, Alex Mizrahi aka killer_storm.