Questionable frame rates

Post by Chris Whytoc » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

I've just set up a new system (PII 400 w. ELSA 16MB TNT) an installed
Opengl 1.1, which includes the demo program skyfly.  I ran that, and it
look decent in a small window (approx. 35 fps when flying between land and
sky) but when I maximized the window to 1152x864 (32-bit colour), the
frame rate dropped to <7fps.  I realize the frame rate should drop, but
this is far below what I expected.  Is this normal, or have I missed
something?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Questionable frame rates

Post by Bruce Dette » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

You have probably exceeded the hardware exceleration capabilities of your
video card (my max is 1024 x 768 if I'm carefull with buffer sizes,
particularly the depth buffer).  Check your hardware specifications for the
amount of video memory you're carrying.  A quich check would be to run the
program at a lower resolution (say 1024 x 768 w/ 24 bit color) and see if
your fps rate drops as dramatically.  At full screen 1152 x 864 w/ 32 bit
color with a 16 bit depth buffer requires ~6 M of video memory not counting
any memory requirements for textures and display lists.  At some point your
system will quit using video memory and try to do everything in main memory
causing a dramatic slowdown.

Hope this helps....
BCD3

Quote:

> I've just set up a new system (PII 400 w. ELSA 16MB TNT) an installed
> Opengl 1.1, which includes the demo program skyfly.  I ran that, and it
> look decent in a small window (approx. 35 fps when flying between land and
> sky) but when I maximized the window to 1152x864 (32-bit colour), the
> frame rate dropped to <7fps.  I realize the frame rate should drop, but
> this is far below what I expected.  Is this normal, or have I missed
> something?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Questionable frame rates

Post by Marcin Romaszewic » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Sounds like the hardware acceleration isn't getting enabled. I have a
very old system (PPro 200) with a 16 Mb TNT, and skyfly runs very
quickly, even in large window sizes. In a 640x480 window it runs at
something like 60 frames/second, and the speed barely changes when I
make
the window larger.

> I've just set up a new system (PII 400 w. ELSA 16MB TNT) an installed
> Opengl 1.1, which includes the demo program skyfly.  I ran that, and it
> look decent in a small window (approx. 35 fps when flying between land and
> sky) but when I maximized the window to 1152x864 (32-bit colour), the
> frame rate dropped to <7fps.  I realize the frame rate should drop, but
> this is far below what I expected.  Is this normal, or have I missed
> something?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Questionable frame rates

Post by Thomas Ke » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Sounds like the hardware acceleration isn't getting enabled. I have a
> very old system (PPro 200) with a 16 Mb TNT, and skyfly runs very
> quickly, even in large window sizes. In a 640x480 window it runs at
> something like 60 frames/second, and the speed barely changes when I
> make
> the window larger.

> > I've just set up a new system (PII 400 w. ELSA 16MB TNT) an installed
> > Opengl 1.1, which includes the demo program skyfly.  I ran that, and it
> > look decent in a small window (approx. 35 fps when flying between land and
> > sky) but when I maximized the window to 1152x864 (32-bit colour), the
> > frame rate dropped to <7fps.  I realize the frame rate should drop, but
> > this is far below what I expected.  Is this normal, or have I missed
> > something?  Any advice would be appreciated.

You can see the hardware vendor or an generic device in the top line of
the window. Permedia2 with P2-333 runs with 120 fps in the start window
size.

The skyfly demo is originally using the opengl.dll and glu.dll made by
SGI. These libraries will be a layer on top of the opengl32.dll and
glu32.dll, if they exist. May be, they found not the hardware
opengl32.dll in window/system but any other ? I would put copy of all
libraries (opengl.dll ... hardware opengl32.dll ... skyfly.exe ... and
the rest) in one directory. Look at the headline of your window (how is
the right name ... don't know it this time, sorry).

Thomas

--
http://home.t-online.de/home/thk01/index.htm

Questionable frame rates

Post by Alen Ladava » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

>I've just set up a new system (PII 400 w. ELSA 16MB TNT) an installed
>Opengl 1.1, which includes the demo program skyfly.  I ran that, and it
>look decent in a small window (approx. 35 fps when flying between land and
>sky) but when I maximized the window to 1152x864 (32-bit colour), the
>frame rate dropped to <7fps.  I realize the frame rate should drop, but
>this is far below what I expected.  Is this normal, or have I missed
>something?  Any advice would be appreciated.

how big is you desktop?
maybe the card is on the edge with its memory.
just a guess, maybe something else, anyway....

1. Cartoon type animation frame rates.

Saturday morning cartoons run about ten to twelve frames per second.
Disney's animations run about twenty or so per second.

Regards,
John

--
"I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty
land will never be purged away, but with blood. I had, as I now think,

2. Delphi 5 Combine multiple scanned images into single JPG

3. Low frame rates.CPU low voltage ?

4. Macromodel won't run in Windows 95 Build 347

5. Trispectives pro & Slow frame Rate

6. Previews in 6.5b

7. control frame rate of "poster movie"

8. Image Processing in 'C'

9. Q: QT frame rate

10. Movieplayer - frame rate

11. Best frame rate for real time video capture (7500)

12. Changing frame rate of Quicktime movie?

13. Frame Rate