Porting IRIS GL code to OpenGL

Post by Stephen.G. Loc » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

My current IRIS GL application has more than 20K lines of Fortran but
makes very limited use of GL facilities: in fact it does nothing much
beyond plotting text and polylines. To use callback routines however the
whole program would have to be rewritten so I'm looking in particular
for interfaces that emulate qtest, qread and charst.

The intention is to port the application to Windows NT whilst retaining
an SGI capability. I can live with C/C++.

Steve Loch

Post by Michael I. Gol » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

| My current IRIS GL application has more than 20K lines of Fortran but
| makes very limited use of GL facilities: in fact it does nothing much
| beyond plotting text and polylines. To use callback routines however the
| whole program would have to be rewritten so I'm looking in particular
| for interfaces that emulate qtest, qread and charst.

This is just the kind of problem GLUT is intended to solve.  There are
even fortran bindings, at least on some platforms.

        http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
Michael I. Gold     Silicon Graphics Inc.     http://www.veryComputer.com/
And my mama cried,  "Nanook a no no! Don't be a * eskimo! Save your

Post by Mason Wo » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> | My current IRIS GL application has more than 20K lines of Fortran but
> | makes very limited use of GL facilities: in fact it does nothing much
> | beyond plotting text and polylines. To use callback routines however the
> | whole program would have to be rewritten so I'm looking in particular
> | for interfaces that emulate qtest, qread and charst.

> This is just the kind of problem GLUT is intended to solve.  There are
> even fortran bindings, at least on some platforms.

No, GLUT requires the use of callback routines (e.g., glutDisplayFunc,
glutReshapeFunc), which would require rewriting the entire IRIS GL
program.  I don't know of any portable source to replace qtest, qread,
getvaluator, that would move from SGI platforms (with IRIS GL) to
Windows NT.
--
Mason Woo, Computer Consultant, World Wide Woo, http://www.woo.com
Tel.:  415-234-9726  Fax:  415-234-9546

--O.J., best 2 out of 3?

1. Simple question about porting GL -> OpenGL

I am not familiar at all with OpenGl but have a simple question. I have a graphics
program written with plain GL calls that I would like to compile with OpenGL, so
as to be able to run in 64 bit mode on our new machine. Is this possible, or will
it be necessary to rewrite the code?

                                        Jim

2. Transforming fonts into scalable vectors? Is it possible?

3. Speed implication of porting GL to OpenGL

4. Inside LightWave 3D tutorials, Chapter 13

5. porting opengl code to be a M$ screensaver?

6. Windows: Which OpenGL-Version do I have ?

7. Iris/Open GL and Iris Performer...

8. AI Conference lists - where?

9. X server for NT supporting OpenGL/IRIS GL?

10. converting IRIS GL to OpenGL on Mac

11. Has anyone ported IRIS GL to Opengl?????

12. Equivalent functionality from IRIS GL to OpenGL