OpenGL 1.3 and ARB_Multisample

Post by Odin Jense » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:36:49

My GeForce 256, does not report the ARB fullscene AA extension
(ARB_multisample).

Is it because I have to get the new fancy pixel format functions through
WGLGetExt and then select a multisample pixel format, before the rendering
context will show it or what?

Odin Jensen

BTW : I've read the doc from NVidia on the subject, so I'm just asking
around here J

OpenGL 1.3 and ARB_Multisample

Post by Jeff Dunca » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 00:24:06

Yes, you need to ask for a pixel format which supports multisampling before
you can determine if you support multisampling.  An exception to this would
be if the user has set an override in the driver settings to always enable
FSAA (advanced display properties, additional settings, '3D antialiasing
settings', 'manually select the antialiasing mode').  If the user has done
this, you get an FSAA context whether you asked for one or not, and have to
explicitly disable multisampling if you do not wish to use it.

Oh, and if you're able to get such a context on the GeForce256, it won't be
in hardware (to my knowledge), so be prepared for a performance hit.

-- Jeff

Quote:> My GeForce 256, does not report the ARB fullscene AA extension