OpenGL on DEC Alpha with HX gfx

Post by Jason Patterso » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether DEC's Open3D software (specifically OpenGL)
will work on a DEC 3000/300LX with the standard HX frame buffer?

I've read the Open3D SPD, and it doesn't mention a software-only
rendering engine... The SPD does list a bunch of graphics cards as
being supported, but it doesn't list the HX.

So, will DEC's OpenGL work on the HX...?

PS: I already know about Mesa. I'm trying to find out whether DEC's
official OpenGL implementation will work on the HX.

JASON PATTERSON

 Imagine that CRAY decides to make a personal computer. It contains 16
 Alpha based processors executing in parallel, has 800 megabytes of RAM,
 9 Gigabytes of disk storage, a resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, does
 24bit 3D graphics in realtime, relies entirely on voice recognition for
 input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300. What is the first
 question the computer community asks?

 "Is it DOS compatible?"

Post by Andy » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know whether DEC's Open3D software (specifically OpenGL)
>will work on a DEC 3000/300LX with the standard HX frame buffer?

It is not supported.

You can try the software-only version of the OpenGL renderer
in the latest Open3D kit (Open3D Version 3.3 for Digital UNIX Version 3.2)
but it is very slow and not supported on the HX. You also need to
get a license for Open3D.

If you are doing OpenGL you should really should get a more recent
graphics board than the HX -- which came out maybe 10 years ago.

--
Andy V (A Digital spoke, not a Digital Spokesperson)

OpenGL on DEC Alpha with HX gfx

Post by rp001 » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi All,

>Does anyone know whether DEC's Open3D software (specifically OpenGL)
>will work on a DEC 3000/300LX with the standard HX frame buffer?

>I've read the Open3D SPD, and it doesn't mention a software-only
>rendering engine... The SPD does list a bunch of graphics cards as
>being supported, but it doesn't list the HX.

>So, will DEC's OpenGL work on the HX...?

>PS: I already know about Mesa. I'm trying to find out whether DEC's
>official OpenGL implementation will work on the HX.

Open3D (including OpenGL) will not support the HX Adapter. Open3D
is made for 3D graphic boards. You need a ZLX-E or ZLX-L card for
your turbochannel machine.

Regards

1. DEC Alpha asks: Lightwave's OpenGL?

Hey Folks,

I'm in the Commodity Graphics group at DECWest (a stone's throw from
Microsoft.)  My job, and the focus of our group, is to make commodity
graphics cards (like Matrox) go really fast on Windows NT Alpha.  Currently
we are working on OpenGL, and we will probably be working on Direct3D in
the future.

What do you think of Lightwave's new OpenGL support?  Is it a good feature?
 Does it help your work a lot, or is it not that relevant?  How's the speed
of OpenGL on the platform you're using?

Cheers,
--
Brandon J. Van Every       |  Free3d: old code never dies!  :-)
                           |  Starter code for GNU Copyleft projects.
DEC Graphics & Multimedia  |

2. macromedia dreamweaver

3. problem with DEC Alpha, OpenGL, and threads

4. can't stitch gaps?

5. OpenGL on DEC Alpha 3000/300LX

6. Cross-Platform OpenGL Program

7. FS: LW for DEC ALPHA and ALPHA

8. Info about ACIS (needed)

9. OpenGL on HX - Solved

10. QFX: Superb Intel & Alpha Paint/GFX software

11. Dual-head graphics cards and drivers for DEC Alpha