OpenGL hardware support + Linux + Geforce 256 DDR

Post by Maciej Kalisi » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:31:35

> &nbsp;
> anyway.

Did you compile your own NVdriver?  If not then most likely you have some sort
of mismatch there.  Just grab the source and do "make".  Make sure that it
picks up the kernel header files that correspond to the current kernel you are
using.

--

PGP->finger|www; (0x39AC36F5) 9F BB 9E 11 F0 1E 5D 20  0B 31 3D 37 47 D0 67 C7
GE/CS d- s++:+ a- C++(+++) ULAI++ P+++ L+++ E+++ W++ N- o? K? !w--- O- M- V--

Post by Tor Arne Bratl » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 02:37:59

>> <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>> &nbsp;
>> anyway.

> Did you compile your own NVdriver?  If not then most likely you have some sort
> of mismatch there.  Just grab the source and do "make".  Make sure that it
> picks up the kernel header files that correspond to the current kernel you are
> using.

Here's what I had to do to make it work (assuming you're going to compile the kernel driver instead of installing the binary one):

To make sure it compiles and installs modules for the correct kernel,
check that /usr/src/linux is pointing to the directory where the source
of your current kernel resides (if you haven't recompiled your kernel
since installing Linux, the original link should do). If it doesn't
(read: you've compiled your own kernel), just remove the original link
and do "ln -s /usr/src/linux-<YOUR VERSION> /usr/src/linux".

For me the drivers were initially quite unstable (I have a Geforce2
Pro-card from CardExpert), but this was fixed through following the
directions in the M64Users<something> readme-file that came with the
GLX-driver (enable "skib bios post" or something through editing one of
the source files). I think I found a tip about this on
www.linuxgames.com, but I'm not entirely certain... It's also a good
idea not to include AGP-support in the kernel: Nvidia have their own AGP
implementation that is more stable without AGPGART included (in my
experience anyway).

Before installing the GLX-drivers, clean out all GL-/glx-libraries from
/usr/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib & /usr/X11R6/modules/extensions (at least that
was the procedure on my Mandrake-box, I'm not entirely certain about the
last path without access to my Linux-box). This is necessary to avoid
remove the GLUT-libraries, you'll need those later(!).

As a final hint, turn off auto-start of X while you're installing new
drivers. This will make it easier on you if X crashes instantly...

- Tor Arne

1. OpenGL hardware support + Linux + Geforce 256 DDR

I didn't have this problem, but make sure nv drivers are compiled for
the right kernel. just download sources of the drivers, and compile it,
to ensure insmod will work. then there's a script in the tarball you
just have to launch, and it will create automatically devices and load
module.

--

Membre fondateur de http://www.phpfr.org et http://www.lnxscene.org
Administrateur systeme Linux / Developpeur C/PHP

2. Splitting Up One Larger Image Into 4 or 6 smaller files

3. Asus GEFORCE 256 DDR + Linux + Stereo support

4. Problem updating the screen in MFC SDI app

5. GeForce 256 DDR/Win32 at Sun fixed frequency monitor

6. "Filtering" images possible?

7. Asus v7700 Geforce 256 GTS DDR 32MB AGP

8. Tweeking a Geforce 256 DDR???

9. Geforce 256 DDR

10. Anyone using Loadtek Winfast GeForce 256 DDR??

11. DX8 and GeForce 256, GeForce 2 GTS and GeForce 2 Mx