Good books on OpenGL and game programming

Good books on OpenGL and game programming

Post by Viktor Lundstr? » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 02:23:32

Hello!
I'm considering to spend some of my hard-earned cash
on a book about game programming in OpenGL.
I'm looking for a book that goes pretty deep,
and deals with extensions as well as optimization and performance
issues.

Do you have any advice?

Viktor Lundstr?m

Good books on OpenGL and game programming

Post by Gaeta » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 05:56:39

i have
Open GL Super bible and it is quite good to learn OGL.
But I plan buying Game Programing Gems for higher tricks...
but i don't know if it's a good choice... does anyone know this book?

_____________________________

Gaetan
Xeberon - http://www.xeberon.net
_____________________________

| Hello!
| I'm considering to spend some of my hard-earned cash
| on a book about game programming in OpenGL.
| I'm looking for a book that goes pretty deep,
| and deals with extensions as well as optimization and performance
| issues.
|
| Do you have any advice?
|
| --------------------------------------------
| Viktor Lundstr?m

| --------------------------------------------

Good books on OpenGL and game programming

Post by Kris Garrei » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 19:36:13

I have the first Game Programming Gems, and I can say it is not for the
newbie ;-)
It is pretty advanced...
I also own
- the red book, which is of course the best reference to start with.
- OpenGL Superbible, very good reference, but sometimes I find it lacking
for some of my problems:-)
- Mathematics for 3D Game Programming & Computer Graphics, very
mathematical, not enough plain OGL samples.
- (Watts) 3D Computer Graphics, very good algo-book.
- lots and lots of C++ books, hey can't work without these :-)
- 3DS Max books, why not have an easy way to create meshes huh :-)

Kris

Post by Wolfgang Draxinge » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 07:34:47

> I have the first Game Programming Gems, and I can say it is not for the
> newbie ;-)
> It is pretty advanced...
> I also own
> - the red book, which is of course the best reference to start with.
> - OpenGL Superbible, very good reference, but sometimes I find it lacking
> for some of my problems:-)
> - Mathematics for 3D Game Programming & Computer Graphics, very
> mathematical, not enough plain OGL samples.
> - (Watts) 3D Computer Graphics, very good algo-book.
> - lots and lots of C++ books, hey can't work without these :-)
> - 3DS Max books, why not have an easy way to create meshes huh :-)

> Kris

When we're talking about 3D books we own, my base collection has:
- the red book of course
- the blue book in electronic form
- Computer Graphics / Principles and Practice; very old (1990 I think)
but has a lot of theory and math to almost every aspect of graphics
- Physics for Game Developers (a good physics book even for the newbie -
but also valuable for physics experienced people like - say - me ;-)
- 6 C++ books ( you never own enough ;-) )
- 5 Assembler books ( 2 thick references with a lot of tricks )
- Algorithms for Chaos and Fraktals ( nice stuff, even to make opponents
a bit unpredictable )
- The blender book ( we all want to have meshes easy )

| +----------------+ WOLFGANG DRAXINGER          |
| | ,-.   DARKSTAR | lead programmer             |

| | `-' / GAMES /                                |
| +----+''''''''     http://www.darkstargames.de |

1. Good games "C" programming books

A great book for learning C games stuff is "Tricks of the Game Programming
Gurus" by LaMothe et al.
ISBN 0-672-30507-0.  You would probably do better to get "C++ for Dummies"
or some such thing, as games stuff is pretty much universal.  After you've
learned C/C++, (assembly would also help) Get Michael Abrash's "Zen of
Graphics Programming" ISBN (for 2nd edition)1-883577-89-6.  With these two,
and a little work, you can theoretically write Quake-style games with
texture mapping, sound, lighting and everything.  I don't own it, but I
believe Abrash also has something like the "Black Book of Game Programming"
which has all of ZoG plus new stuff and more articles and such.

Hope this helps! =)
/\/\aelstro/\/\

<SNIP>

2. Rendreman 11, reuse ambient occlusion problem...

3. Opengl Game Programming book

4. newbie question / clipping / pdf

5. OpenGL Game programming book?

6. Need 3DS Screen capturer

7. Can anyone request a good beginers book on OpenGL / 3d Game Programing *obviously* :)

8. rotorhead rotation

9. Good programming books on OpenGL in Visual C++

10. 3D Programming books (formerly Cameras in 3D, also Good 3D Graphics books)

11. Buy opengl book for win-opengl-programming ?

12. 3d Games Programming Books

13. Books on 3D game programming