GLX slow on SUN or SGI, why ?

Post by Fabrice UH » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I tryed to run a distant OGL application from a
SunUltra creator 3D and displaying to a Indigo
and it seems very very slow, as if the GLX server
convert to bitmap and transfered only images through
the net. On the other hand, running the demo on the
Indigo and displaying on the Ultra was fast.

Do someone have an idea why ?

thanks

www : http://www.etca.fr/Users/Fabrice%20Uhl/

GLX slow on SUN or SGI, why ?

Post by Thomas Kuner » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Hallo users !

I try to implement hidden line with the glPolygonOffsetEXT methode
for rendering polygon surfaces. At first I paint it with GL_FILL and
than in polygon line mode.

And proper it works but not at the outside of the surfaces. There (only
there) shinning other poygons through polygons near to me (glDephtTest
is enabled).

The same effect I get on a O2 with Irix 6.3. and OpenGL. Mesa have the
artifacts like the OpenGL version. But on a Octane with Irix 6.4 there
are not this artifacts.

Have anybody an idea ?

Best regards

Thomas Kunert

GLX slow on SUN or SGI, why ?

Post by Scott A. Reynold » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I tryed to run a distant OGL application from a
> SunUltra creator 3D and displaying to a Indigo
> and it seems very very slow, as if the GLX server
> convert to bitmap and transfered only images through
> the net. On the other hand, running the demo on the
> Indigo and displaying on the Ultra was fast.

> Do someone have an idea why ?

Rendering performance is dependent on the machine displaying the
graphics.  For example, I would expect an Indigo with anything but
IMPACT graphics to be significantly slower than a Ultra Creator3D.

Scott

Post by Fabrice UH » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

> Rendering performance is dependent on the machine displaying the
> graphics.  For example, I would expect an Indigo with anything but
> IMPACT graphics to be significantly slower than a Ultra Creator3D.

of course, but my question was a little different.
let me try again :

I have a Suncreator which seems much faster than the old indigo R4000,
but running a demo (geoface) on both give in both cases a relativly
smooth behaviour, that is 5-20 images/sec, I can't really count exactly
;-)
now the problem comes from running the demo through the network :
the demo runs at the same speed on one machine and displayed on the
other,
but the frame rate drop to an image every couple of second approximatly.
You say that the video card may be the reason, but if the network is
able
to support the OGL orders to display on the Ultra, and the indigo video
card is fast enough to run the OGL demo in local, ... then, why is the
demo slow on the indigo ? The network activity is not the reason, nor
the
"slow" indigo video card.
Then the GLX drivers, but which ones ? It seems that all is sent in
bitmap
format from the ultra to the indigo, but who is responsible for this ?
bad sun OGL (GLX) drivers or incompatible GLX drivers ?

thanks

www : http://www.etca.fr/Users/Fabrice%20Uhl/

1. Q: GLX extensions for Sun

To All:
        Can anyone tell me how to get a an SGI-compiled OpenGL program to
display successfully on a Sun system?

I get the following error:

 Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ...

Is it a matter of buying the runtime libraries from Template Graphics or
Portable Graphics? If it is, can anyone recommend one over the other? I
have seen a lot of messages in favor of TGS.

The idea is to avoid the budget-busting cost of the Sun OpenGL
development libraries from TGS or PG.
(~ $5K! Talk about sticking it to the customer while you can!)

On a related note, does anyone have any SOLID information on Sun's plans
to support OpenGL on their "lesser" platforms. I know that they support
it on the new Ultra Creator 3D niche platform, but what all the other
older platforms?

The last information I heard was that Sun planned to have native OpenGL
support for non-Creator platforms by mid-summer '97. I later heard that
this would only be run-time libraries, so there will still not be true
OpenGL development libraries native to the older Sun platforms.

Before any TGS or PG fanatics jump all over this, let me explain. SGI
provides the OpenGL DEVELOPMENT libraries for about $800 with support
for ALL platforms newer than the 4D/20 (made what? 12-15 years ago?).
This means that about 99% of the still usable systems have OpenGL
support, PLUS support for HARDWARE ACCELERATION. How many of Sun's
graphics boards do TGS and PG support? Maybe half from what I can tell
from their spec sheets. And all for a bargain price of 6 TIMES the price
of SGI's native OpenGL.

It's enough to make you start thinking of collusion. Sun has an
opportunity to take over the Sun OpenGL market by providing an OpenGL
library that will support their hardware at a lower cost. TGS and PG
would have to cut prices and improve their products or else abandon the
market. Why doesn't Sun do this? How can TGS and PG continue to
overprice their products? Does anyone care? Or is everyone moving to
SGIs or MS/NT platforms? Is Sun going to lose all of their technical
market share and content themselves with creating transaction servers
for the business and financial markets? Is there anyone with a vision of
the 3D market at Sun? Why is the sky blue? (Just checking to see if
you're still paying attention.) And the most important question; Can
anyone explain all this?

Regards,

Brett Grimes
--
                #################################
                Brett Grimes

2. Quark 4 backwardly compatible?

3. Linux: fast glx slow glut

4. TURTLE3D: another funny small program

5. Q: GLX extensions for Sun

6. How do I make jpegs to this spec ??

7. slow Mesa on Sun

8. Questions about 3DMAX4 export scene to OpenGL "C" code

9. Software development on SGI: GL or GLX?

10. GLX Pixmap problem on SGI O2

11. SGI release OpenGL window / GLX API as Open Source to bring hardware accel to Linux

12. SGI->nonSGI : GLX problem ?

13. GLX & X server resources problem on SGI