Panoramas a la VRML, Skypaint?

Post by edx » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to render a VRML background node (a panorama) in OpenGL and
I'm getting distortion of the texture as I rotate the viewpoint.
The same images work fine in Cosmo.

I use decal and LINEAR. I tried glHint( perspective, nicest) and it
made things worse.
I tried putting the 6 quads at 1000 and 10000 to no effect.

Is this an effect of the camera or the texturing? (I see the same
effect
on textures, when I navigate across a textured ground surface,
especially near the viewing position.)

My draw code goes something like this:
glClear
/ / no calls to glMatrixMode, I'm in MODELVIEW
glLoadIdentity
gluLookAt
Trackball.Update (Gavin Bell's trackball)
Scene.Draw / / draw 6 quads with the panorama textures
/ / draw more stuff
/ / finish up

I get a properly textured panorama, but there seem to be 'bends' in
the texture, especially near the seams. Same thing if I stand I
brick-paved street and look down at my feet - some bricks seem to be
bent.

Can anyone tell me what causes this?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Panoramas a la VRML, Skypaint?

Post by edx » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I get a properly textured panorama, but there seem to be 'bends' in
>the texture, especially near the seams. Same thing if I stand I
>brick-paved street and look down at my feet - some bricks seem to be
>bent.

I found the problem. Rendering the textures onto quad strips removes
the distortion.

Panoramas a la VRML, Skypaint?

Post by Daniel Fdez. Bled » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

edx escribi:

Quote:> >I get a properly textured panorama, but there seem to be 'bends' in
> >the texture, especially near the seams. Same thing if I stand I
> >brick-paved street and look down at my feet - some bricks seem to be
> >bent.

> I found the problem. Rendering the textures onto quad strips removes
> the distortion.

And have you tried to tried to do this as VRML97 Specification says (with
spheres and partial sphere for ground)?
How have you did this?