Will the Inventor come with NT 4.0?

Post by Reymundo M. Arque » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Just curious if the infamous OOP API... the ultimate... INVENTOR will
come built in with NT 4.0...  Yes or NO?  OpenGL is awesome, but to
speed up application developement, isn't the Inventor an easier API
to work with, rather than creating your own on top of OpenGL?

Rey

Will the Inventor come with NT 4.0?

Post by Nik Simps » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Just curious if the infamous OOP API... the ultimate... INVENTOR will
>come built in with NT 4.0...  Yes or NO?  OpenGL is awesome, but to
>speed up application developement, isn't the Inventor an easier API
>to work with, rather than creating your own on top of OpenGL?

 Inventor is available for NT from third parties today. I would think it
very unlikely that MS would bundle it with the OS since the vast majority
of NT users don't need it.

--
|--------------------------------------------------|

|  Intergraph Computer Systems                     |
|--------------------------------------------------|

Post by Template Graphics Softwa » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>>Just curious if the infamous OOP API... the ultimate... INVENTOR will
>>come built in with NT 4.0...  Yes or NO?  OpenGL is awesome, but to
>>speed up application developement, isn't the Inventor an easier API
>>to work with, rather than creating your own on top of OpenGL?

> Inventor is available for NT from third parties today. I would think it
>very unlikely that MS would bundle it with the OS since the vast majority
>of NT users don't need it.

????
I know Intergraph is targeting 3D with Windows NT.  Not everyone needs CAD,
I agree, but 3D is moving into Microsoft Office and the Web.  I'll wager
a significant (majority) of users would use 3D if it was bundled...

>--
>|--------------------------------------------------|

>|  Intergraph Computer Systems                     |
>|--------------------------------------------------|

Microsoft bundles the DLL's for TGS' implementation of Open Inventor
on Visual C++. It actually *would* be a popular feature to bundle
the DLL's for the OS, since a large number of ISV's have purchased the
TGS product and are building apps for distribution.  3D will become a part
of the desktop (look at WebSpace, Visual 3Space...)

*If* this will happen is a question for MS, but I do know it
would be used by a majority of desktops.  We have desktop products
(3Space Viewer) that are 3D 'notepads', which allow embedding of
3D into Word (technical docs) and PowerPoint. 3Space Explorer is a plug-in
for Intenret Explorer 3.0, for 3D surfing.  Both products support VRML,
Open Inventor and DXF content.  I think these products will touch on
*alot* of users!

Standards take a long time to become established, and Open Inventor
has achieved that level of support today.

619.457.5359 x229

Comments are my own and TGS'.

Will the Inventor come with NT 4.0?

Post by Nik Simps » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I know Intergraph is targeting 3D with Windows NT.  Not everyone needs CAD,
>I agree, but 3D is moving into Microsoft Office and the Web.  I'll wager
>a significant (majority) of users would use 3D if it was bundled...

I think the number of users who actually wnt to develop 3D applications is
very small. If we are talking about bundling the runtime libraries for Open
Inventor then I can see the sense of that.

Quote:

>Microsoft bundles the DLL's for TGS' implementation of Open Inventor
>on Visual C++. It actually *would* be a paopular feature to bundle
>the DLL's for the OS, since a large number of ISV's have purchased the
>TGS product and are building apps for distribution.  3D will become a part
>of the desktop (look at WebSpace, Visual 3Space...)

I agree this makes sense, has TGS approached Microsoft about bundling the
runtime components in NT. However, I understood the original question to be
whether the entire Open Inventor product would be bundled in NT 4.0, I
don't think it it will and don't think it should be.

--
|--------------------------------------------------|

Post by Claus Bro » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Microsoft bundles the DLL's for TGS' implementation of Open Inventor
> on Visual C++.

Does this mean they bundle both development and runtime libs?

  Claus Brod, MDD, HP Boeblingen    Have you hugged your manager today?
--#include <std_disclaimer>---------http://hpbmdd28.bbn.hp.com/~clausb --
   Explicit permission required for distribution in Microsoft Network.

Post by Template Graphics Softwa » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>> Microsoft bundles the DLL's for TGS' implementation of Open Inventor
>> on Visual C++.

>Does this mean they bundle both development and runtime libs?

>  Claus Brod, MDD, HP Boeblingen    Have you hugged your manager today?
>--#include <std_disclaimer>---------http://hpbmdd28.bbn.hp.com/~clausb --
>   Explicit permission required for distribution in Microsoft Network.

Partially.  the TGS defined 3D extension to MFC for Open Inventor (called
IVF) is bundled for developing MFC-style OI apps.  the 'core' Open
Inventor headers are not on the CD ($995 for the full SDK from TGS).
There is enough on the CD to support VRML viewer development, in either
MFC or OCX (now ActiveX).

Very cool integration with the IVF AppWizard and VC (do a new project and
select the IVF appwiz).  VRML viewer in < 30 seconds!