looking for very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.

looking for very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.

Post by Ed » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 07:11:42

I need a very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.  Any suggestions?  Looking
to spend around $50.  Maybe 16 MB RAM.

Ed

Post by id.. » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:56:00

> I need a very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.  Any suggestions?  Looking
> to spend around $50.  Maybe 16 MB RAM.

Look for a TNT something or even better a Kyro-based card. The Kyro can be found
in cards made by Hercules, Vivid and others - try searching for Kyro using
www.pricewatch.com or a similar service.

Regards

Bruno

looking for very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.

Post by Lev Povalahe » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 01:20:37

I favor TNT, kyro's drivers suck, NVIDIA's rock.

-Lev

Post by Hans Bergengre » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 02:55:27

> I favor TNT, kyro's drivers suck, NVIDIA's rock.

TNT is very slow compared to Kyro, and the drivers don't suck at all. Of
course, you'll find a guy here and there with a Kyro that is an absolute
*, but isn't that true for any video card? It's certainly true of
Nvidia's cards and drivers.

One thing is certain though, that Nvidia does not offer the level of driver
support for the TNT, as Imagination Technologies does for the Kyro. Nvidia's
drivers are TNT *compatible*, they are not TNT *optimized*, and will
therefore perform less than optimally.

 Bye!
/HB:

looking for very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.

Post by Lev Povalahe » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 04:14:15

What OpenGL extensions does the kyro driver support?

-Lev

>>I favor TNT, kyro's drivers suck, NVIDIA's rock.

> TNT is very slow compared to Kyro, and the drivers don't suck at all. Of
> course, you'll find a guy here and there with a Kyro that is an absolute
> *, but isn't that true for any video card? It's certainly true of
> Nvidia's cards and drivers.

> One thing is certain though, that Nvidia does not offer the level of driver
> support for the TNT, as Imagination Technologies does for the Kyro. Nvidia's
> drivers are TNT *compatible*, they are not TNT *optimized*, and will
> therefore perform less than optimally.

>  Bye!
> /HB:

looking for very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.

Post by Mike Smit » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:49:54

Quote:> I need a very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.  Any suggestions?
Looking
> to spend around $50.  Maybe 16 MB RAM.

According to PriceWatch, OCIE.com has an Inno3D 32MB GF2MX200 PCI for $59.
This card is *way* faster than the TNT or Kyro (I, not II, I assume?)
mentioned elsewhere in this thread, and has up-to-date driver support.  It
may be a few bucks more, but definitely (IMO) the way to go.

--
Mike Smith

looking for very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.

Post by Ed » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:58:49

Will this card work ok in a 90 MHz Pentium, with 32 MB RAM?
Ed

Post by id.. » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:49:33

> I favor TNT, kyro's drivers suck, NVIDIA's rock.

> -Lev

Now that is just total BS.

I haven't had any problems with drivers for my KyroII (Which uses the same drivers as
the Kyro based cards) in Windows98 or in Windows XP. In fact I find that they seem
more stable and provide some nice features that the Nvidia drivers for my GeForce256
doesn't. With the KyroII drivers you can set up different settings for individual
applications if you wish so you can have one game use 4xFSAA and another one use no
FSAA, the driver simply detects which game you run and then use your settings
automaticly.

Now I'm guessing you just an Nvidia fan-boy but if not feel free to let us know why
you favor Nvidia drivers - surely it can't be because they "leak" new beta ones every
other day or withhold features to aid marketing when they release new hardware. It
seems to me that Nvidia is becoming just as bad as M$ and everything they accused 3dFx
of back in the old days.

Kind regards

Bruno

looking for very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.

Post by Lev Povalahe » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:00:50

AFAIK NVIDIA's OpenGL support is much better (extensions, example:
ARB_imaging, fast and stable drivers which run well with games and CAD
apps too).

If this is wrong then I take my words back.

-Lev

Post by Dave » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:12:39

> > I favor TNT, kyro's drivers suck, NVIDIA's rock.

> TNT is very slow compared to Kyro, and the drivers don't suck at all. Of
> course, you'll find a guy here and there with a Kyro that is an absolute
> *,

err, nice dangling participle, intentional, mebe? Like the lady who got out
of the car with no clothes on?

 but isn't that true for any video card? It's certainly true of

Quote:> Nvidia's cards and drivers.
> One thing is certain though, that Nvidia does not offer the level of
driver
> support for the TNT, as Imagination Technologies does for the Kyro.
Nvidia's
> drivers are TNT *compatible*, they are not TNT *optimized*, and will
> therefore perform less than optimally.

I suppose this would stand to reason given over twice the variety of
chip-iterations to support in a unified driver database-besides, feature
creep always favors the cutting edge. There is also a flip-side, for
example, any nvdd32.dll after 6.27 just about halves the framerate with the
K6-x'es, so after a generation or two, compatibility standards are lost in
the shuffle perhaps? Where's the Kyro 3 already, dammit? We need more
evangelical fodder around here. ATI or Nvidia. Nvidia or ATI. Vice-versa.
Bleh, ptooey!
Quote:>  Bye!

Post by Danny Chapma » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 02:59:41

> We need more
> evangelical fodder around here. ATI or Nvidia. Nvidia or ATI. Vice-versa.

I was stunned (well, nearly) to find that framerates in Unreal Tournament
dropped by a factor of around two when I "upgraded" from an old Voodoo
graphics 8mb PCI adapter to a shiny new GeForce2 32mb PCI card. How can
things get slower after 3 years(?) of hardware development?

Quote:> Bleh, ptooey!

Exactly.

- Danny

PS the reason I changed cards was so that I could write OpenGL apps
without digging my hand in my pocket to upgrade an old 200MHz Pentium...

Post by Hans Bergengre » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 04:18:05

> I was stunned (well, nearly) to find that framerates in Unreal Tournament
> dropped by a factor of around two when I "upgraded" from an old Voodoo
> graphics 8mb PCI adapter to a shiny new GeForce2 32mb PCI card. How can
> things get slower after 3 years(?) of hardware development?

Shoddy programming. The Unreal engine wasn't designed for D3D/OGL to begin
with, and even if things improved as the version numbers increased I'm not
sure if performance ever catched up. Anyway, anything above 60fps is pretty
much wasted so does it really matter? :-)

 Bye!
/HB.

looking for very inexpensive 3D card, PCI, for a PC.

Post by Robert Bergkvis » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 06:26:56

If I'm not mistaken, the GeForce is limited to 60 fps by default, to have
smoother animations.

> > I was stunned (well, nearly) to find that framerates in Unreal
Tournament
> > dropped by a factor of around two when I "upgraded" from an old Voodoo
> > graphics 8mb PCI adapter to a shiny new GeForce2 32mb PCI card. How can
> > things get slower after 3 years(?) of hardware development?

> Shoddy programming. The Unreal engine wasn't designed for D3D/OGL to begin
> with, and even if things improved as the version numbers increased I'm not
> sure if performance ever catched up. Anyway, anything above 60fps is
pretty
> much wasted so does it really matter? :-)

>  Bye!
> /HB.

1. Inexpensive PCI video card on the Mac?

I have recently upgraded to a PPC Mac Clone (StarMax 5500) and have a
little problem. I have a Radius 19" B/W monitor, in addition to my main
color monitor, that I would like to use on my computer. The StarMax has
the Rage II+ video on it's motherboard, so I don't need/want a video
accelerator card.  I'm looking to purchase a video card for under $100 for
this, and preferably a lot less. I initially purchased an ATI Xclaim GA
card for $67, but on the StarMax, there is a conflict with the on-board
video and the computer won't boot, and ATI's response was we are working
on it, but "if your card is under a time-restricted return policy, you may
wish to return it," so I am not holding out much hope.

What I am looking for is some information from someone who is using either
a low-end PC video card or some other inexpensive card, with success in
their Mac. I have to drive the radius at 1172x870 and would like 8 bits of
grey scale.

Thanks

--
Pop Man - Aneybody want to play some pinball?

2. 3DS4 Manuals plus Videos

3. 2 questions: PC monitor / PCI video cards.

4. need metaball function

5. PC PCI slot same as power mac PCI?

6. LW 810/Quark 3.3 & Tabloid problems

7. Looking for Inexpensive second video card for SuperMAC

8. Looking for BGI-driver for SPEA MERCURY LITE PCI grphics card

9. Video Wizard pci card Problems (VP-VW4M-PCI Video Wizard)

10. Starfighter PCI Video 3D Card help

11. ** FA: ONE DAY LEFT: ATI Xclaim 3D Rage Pro (fast PCI graphic card), etc