SGI OpenGL Product Manager and OpenGL/Linux Engineering positions

SGI OpenGL Product Manager and OpenGL/Linux Engineering positions

Post by Jon Lee » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

    SGI's Visual Systems Business Unit in Mt. View, CA has open
positions for an OpenGL product manager, as well as several
Linux-oriented OpenGL engineering jobs:

    OpenGL Product Manager
    ----------------------

    Exciting opportunity to shape the future of graphics. Join an
    innovative, dynamic team who manages the world's most advanced
    graphics computing products. OpenGL is the industry standard for 3D
    graphics.

    We are looking for a key individual to drive the future direction of
    OpenGL from the marketing perspective. They will be responsible for
    working with the OpenGL Architecture Review Board, influencing SGI's API
    strategy for Linux, and promoting OpenGL. The candidate must be able to
    handle all aspects of product management, including product definition,
    pricing, positioning, and promotion.

    Education/Experience: 3-5 yrs of experience in product management or an
    MBA is a must. Most candidates will have a Bachelor of Science degree in
    electrical engineering or computer science. Strong technical and
    communication skills are required. Experience in OpenGL applications
    development is extremely valuable.

        Contact Eric Berg in SGI Staffing - phone (650)-933-6729 or

    OpenGL engineering positions available include entry and experienced
level work on both Linux and IRIX products. For details, see SGI's main
employment web page:

        http://www.sgi.com/cgi-bin/employment/opportunities.cgi

    Jon Leech
    SGI

SGI OpenGL Product Manager and OpenGL/Linux Engineering positions

Post by Ross Cunni » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

What's the group consensus on job postings in comp.graphics.opengl?
We've got graphcs job openings too...  I personally would hate to see
the good technical stuff in here swamped with other miscellaneous stuff.
However, I'm selfish enough to post HP job openings here if the group
decides it's OK...  :-)

Ross Cunniff
Hewlett-Packard Technical Computing Division

Post by Samuel Pai » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> >What's the group consensus on job postings in comp.graphics.opengl?
> >We've got graphcs job openings too...  I personally would hate to see
> >the good technical stuff in here swamped with other miscellaneous stuff.
> >However, I'm selfish enough to post HP job openings here if the group
> >decides it's OK...  :-)

>     In general I myself am opposed to it, but made an exception in this
> case because SGI's OpenGL Product Manager does not just work for the
> benefit of SGI. The PM has a critical role to play for the health of
> OpenGL as a whole, serving as the ARB Secretary and being responsible
> for various other ARB functions.

Generally, I would prefer to keep job postings to a minimum.  One
compromise that seems to work well for comp.compilers is a weekly
compilation posting, have someone be a single compiler of job
offers and post a single post weekly.  [this may work better on
comp.compilers as it is a moderated group, which means that head
hunters can't bypass the point of contact]

Sam
--
Samuel S. Paik | http://www.webnexus.com/users/paik/
3D and multimedia, architecture and implementation

Post by Jon Lee » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>What's the group consensus on job postings in comp.graphics.opengl?
>We've got graphcs job openings too...       I personally would hate to see
>the good technical stuff in here swamped with other miscellaneous stuff.
>However, I'm selfish enough to post HP job openings here if the group
>decides it's OK...  :-)

    In general I myself am opposed to it, but made an exception in this
case because SGI's OpenGL Product Manager does not just work for the
benefit of SGI. The PM has a critical role to play for the health of
OpenGL as a whole, serving as the ARB Secretary and being responsible
for various other ARB functions.
    Jon Leech
    SGI
P.S. And as long as I was doing it anyway, I added in a bit about open
    engineering positions. If you want to pile on a hypocrisy charge,
    that would be the place.

SGI OpenGL Product Manager and OpenGL/Linux Engineering positions

Post by Jim William » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm in favor of posting job openings, especially entry-level ones; it's good
for my morale. 8D
 I think the job openings should be for positions that revolve around
OpenGL, however. I mean, there's not much point in posting job opportunities
here that require a knowledge of 2D graphics, database programming, or even
DirectX.

>What's the group consensus on job postings in comp.graphics.opengl?
>We've got graphcs job openings too...  I personally would hate to see
>the good technical stuff in here swamped with other miscellaneous stuff.
>However, I'm selfish enough to post HP job openings here if the group
>decides it's OK...  :-)

>Ross Cunniff
>Hewlett-Packard Technical Computing Division

SGI OpenGL Product Manager and OpenGL/Linux Engineering positions

Post by Jim William » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

One other function that OpenGL-specific job offers might perform in the
newsgroup is a sounding of the market; it might let people know how OpenGL
is being used, and in the case of people like me who are still learning it,
where we might want to concentrate our efforts.

I'm considering setting up a web site, with a major portion devoted to
OpenGL; I could include a page of job-offers. People could email them to me,
and I could post them on a weekly or daily basis on the page. Then I could
post a call-for-offers and a pointer to the page once a week in the
newsgroup. That would get us the once-a-week posting you describe, yet allow
people to consult it at their leisure. Opinions anyone?

(In fact, if I could figure out how to get Outlook Express to give me a
signature line, I could post the link in that, like Mr. Martz does the FAQ.)

>> >What's the group consensus on job postings in comp.graphics.opengl?
>> >We've got graphcs job openings too...  I personally would hate to see
>> >the good technical stuff in here swamped with other miscellaneous stuff.
>> >However, I'm selfish enough to post HP job openings here if the group
>> >decides it's OK...  :-)

>>     In general I myself am opposed to it, but made an exception in this
>> case because SGI's OpenGL Product Manager does not just work for the
>> benefit of SGI. The PM has a critical role to play for the health of
>> OpenGL as a whole, serving as the ARB Secretary and being responsible
>> for various other ARB functions.

>Generally, I would prefer to keep job postings to a minimum.  One
>compromise that seems to work well for comp.compilers is a weekly
>compilation posting, have someone be a single compiler of job
>offers and post a single post weekly.  [this may work better on
>comp.compilers as it is a moderated group, which means that head
>hunters can't bypass the point of contact]

>Sam
>--
>Samuel S. Paik | http://www.webnexus.com/users/paik/
>3D and multimedia, architecture and implementation
>You dont know enough about X86 or kernel architectures to argue with me.

SGI OpenGL Product Manager and OpenGL/Linux Engineering positions

Post by John Smit » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

www.opengl.org  already has a job posting, not that I am a
fan of that particular web site. Job posting would fatten an
already too unstructured newsgroup and reverse that gains
gotton by Paul Martz's efforts.

Post by Paul Mart » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> www.opengl.org  already has a job posting, not that I am a
> fan of that particular web site. Job posting would fatten an
> already too unstructured newsgroup and reverse that gains
> gotton by Paul Martz's efforts.

Thanks. But on the other hand, I'd like to see some of these jobs at HP get
filled. :-(
--

    Hewlett Packard Technical Solutions Lab
    OpenGL FAQ: http://www.frii.com/~martz/oglfaq

1. OPENGL Product Manager Wanted

Responsibilities:  The OpenGL Product Manager is responsible for
industry-wide positioning and marketing of the OpenGL Graphics API.
This includes, creation of marketing materials, driving ISV and customer
acceptance, source code licensing (including conformance testing and
administration), overseeing the OpenGL Architecture Review Board,  and
tracking the status of OpenGL licensees.

Strategic/Overall Mission:
Expanding the adoption of OpenGL as the most widely used graphics API in
the computing industry.  Articulating and communicating the OpenGL
technology roadmap.  Aggressively pursuing and closing licensing
opportunities.  Encouraging ISVs to accept, endorse and use OpenGL as
their preferred graphics API. Effective positioning of OpenGL against
competitive technologies.

Education/Experience:  The candidate must be familiar with 3D
graphics software technologies including OpenGL and Open Inventor.
Exposure to other 3D API technologies is helpful.  Additionally the
candidate must understand the dynamics of broad 3D graphics markets,
from PCs to graphics workstations.  Background in one or more 3D markets
is desired:  CAD, animation, visual simulation, medical imaging and
games.

Silicon Graphics, Inc.  2011 N. Shoreline ms525 Mountain View, CA  94043

2. inventor to rib?

3. OPENGL Product Manager Wanted-Job Opening

4. 1200 dpi lineart the sequel

5. OPENGL PRODUCT MANAGER - Job Opening

6. PARASOLID solid modeler

7. OPENGL Product Manager Wanted-Job Opening

8. commercial visualization software for the medical community

9. OPENGL PRODUCT MANAGER WANTED - Job Opening

10. Software Engineer - Linux Graphics Device Drivers / OpenGL Surrey, UK to c£35000

11. OpenGL Software Engineer positions

12. updates on OpenGL for linux products?