Speed implication of porting GL to OpenGL

Speed implication of porting GL to OpenGL

Post by Jon Co » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am thinking of porting some GL code to OpenGL and was wondering what
the speed implication of this move would be.

I am looking to run the OpenGL code on a Crimson with a single R4400
150MHz processor with 64Mb and VGXT graphics board.

Cheers,
Jon Cook
--

Post by Allen Ak » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

| I am thinking of porting some GL code to OpenGL and was wondering what
| the speed implication of this move would be.
|
| I am looking to run the OpenGL code on a Crimson with a single R4400
| 150MHz processor with 64Mb and VGXT graphics board.

OpenGL will be slower.  We haven't put much effort into tuning it for
the older graphics adaptors.

Allen

1. help: port application from Gl to OpenGL

Hi,

I wrote a program using GL on SGI 4D/380 VGX sometime ago and now
I would like to rewrite it using OpenGL.  My questions are:

1) Where I can get OpenGL library?  Can I use anonymous FTP?
2) GL library seems to work only on SGI workstation.  When I try to use
another X-terminal (non SGI) for displaying, it always gives error message.
Does OpenGL have the same problem?
3) What are the advantages of using OpenGL over GL?  Are there FAQ's somewhere?

Any pointer to the above questions are appreciated.

Lingsong

2. Still TTF problems, gimp118/rh6/xfs

3. Has anyone ported IRIS GL to Opengl?????

4. where are gtk+2 RPMs?

5. Simple question about porting GL -> OpenGL

6. 24 -> 8 bit quantization : needs MEDIAN CUT palette

7. help: port application from GL to OpenGL

8. An open letter to all 3DS Max Gatekeepers

9. Help needed on GL->OpenGL port

10. Porting IRIS GL code to OpenGL

11. Port of IRIS-GL charstr() to OpenGL

12. Amazing difference between speed of GL and OpenGL

13. Speed in GL vs OpenGL