Linux: fast glx slow glut

Post by Um... O » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 06:46:25

Hi,

I recently installed XFree86 4.1.01 and mesa 3.5 and nvidia drivers under
debian woody and found that GLX programs are fast but glut programs are
slow. I then tried compiling glut, modifying the make file to use libGL
instead of libMesaGL but I still have the same results. What do you suggest
I try?

Do you have nvidia drivers and use glut? How did you do it?

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Linux: fast glx slow glut

Post by Um... O » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:10:26

Oops. Success.

I reinstalled from scratch.

X, then nvidia stuff then replaced /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so* with links to
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.1512 or whatever it is from nvidia.
I copied the headers from /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX... into /usr/include/GL
Then I got oss-opengl-glu-2000924.i386.rpm from the Mesa web page used alien
to create a tar file and installed it and fixed the links. This got me
/usr/include/GL/glu.h.
I didn't install Mesa.
Then I got glut-3.7 and compiled for linux fixing Glut.cf and the Makefile
that goes in glut to use libGL instead of libMesaGL.

And now glx fast, glut fast, everybody fast.

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

1. glx extensions, undefined glx references with glut (Linux)

Hello!

When I try to compile a program that uses glut I get:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXCreateContextWithConfigSGIX'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXGetFBConfigAttribSGIX'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXGetFBConfigFromVisualSGIX'

Those functions seem to be glx extensions (GLX_SGIX_fbconfig) and glxinfo
shows that it should be available...

The Makefile found in the glut-3.7 linux/ dir. builds the thingie like this:
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libglut.so.3 -o libglut.so.3.7 $(OBJS)
I think this is totally screwed..get millions of undefined references...
all libraries are missing!?! so I changed it to:
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libglut.so.3 -o libglut.so.3.7 -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-lGLU -lGL -lXext -lX11 -lXmu -lXt -lXi -lSM -lICE $(OBJS)

Now everything else is fine except those glx extensions. How the hell do I
get them working? If I compile glut without the glx extensions (I hack
glxtokens.h by uncommenting #define GLX_SGIX_fbconfig...so glut
won't use it anymore) it works.

I'm using XFree86 and nvidia drivers (1.0-2313) on Linux. Do I how to do
something special on this platform when linking?

 * Tommi *

2. FH8 questions

3. mesa linux nvidia glut and glx

4. Decomposing a rotation matrix

5. GLX slow on SUN or SGI, why ?

6. Starting and stopping repainting

7. DGL/GLX capable X server for Linux

8. Writing text to a window using glut or glx

9. Re - Retrieving a rendering from Linux GLX

10. Retrieving a rendering from Linux GLX

11. FBconfig and Pbuffers using nVidia's glX under Linux

12. ANNOUNCE: xfree4+GLX for more than just linux