Getting OpenGL working on Linux

Post by Marcin Romaszewic » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Go to www.opengl.org, click on "Developer" and there will be a link
there which you can use to download glut.

-- Marcin

Post by Paul Martinolic » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

> I'm new with linux and would like to get some simple OpenGL programs I
> created in a class to work on my Linux machine.  I have Mandrake 7 and
> when I checked the rpm tool, it shows that I do have Mesa Version 3.1
> installed But if I compile the code, I get a message that GL/glut.h
> could not be found (it is no-where on my linux drives) and it dies.
> Should I just put the same glut.h I used in Windows in my include
> folder? Since I'm using Mesa right now, do I have to change the link
> lines? here is what I have now:

> CXX=g++
> LDFLAGS=-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lglut -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm

> Do I need the Xlibs? I don't include any header files different from
> windows, and I know the code works on Unix as it was working on SGI
> machines at my school.

> Thanks for any assistence,
>   Sincerely,
>       Scott

Mandrake puts GL under /usr/X11R6/, so add CFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include
to get GL/glut.h.  I also had to make a symbolic link from libGL.so
to libGL.so.1.2.0.  Before I could get things to compile correctly.

paul
--
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
Paul Martinolich/Software Engr.   e-mail:

Neptune Sciences, Inc.            voice: (228) 688-5280
NRL Remote Sensing/Ocean Color    http://www7240.nrlssc.navy.mil/ocolor/

1. (newbie) Problems getting OpenGL programs to work under linux

I'm trying to get myself set up to use OpenGL (Mesa 4.0) under Linux.
I've used the command line

  gcc -o Hello Hello.c -lglut -lGL -lGLU

like I would generally think would work for an OpenGL link, and I get
some unresolved externals on sqrt, floor, and ceil.  I played around
with it a little, winding up with the line

  gcc -o Hello Hello.c -lglut -lGL -lGLU -lXpcs

and it compiled, but the program doesn't run.  It tells me the shared
library for Xpcs is missing.

What the hell is Xpcs?  Why do I need it?  Is there anything I'm
obviously doing wrong here that I can fix to make this work?
--
"Don't believe the florist when he tells you that the roses are free"

Tom

2. 6100-88..AV card Buy it?

3. Is anyone getting OpenGL to work in Layout?????

4. Help with Logo?

5. Getting old SGI GL code from 1992 to work under OpenGL

6. The BEST?

7. Getting my OpenGL app to work on 3dfx cards

8. Getting OpenGL work with Borland C++ 4.52

9. Getting OpenGL to work on Windows95 (SGI version)

10. OpenGL: Getting Your Demos to Work in Win95

11. Getting Z-buffering to work in OpenGL

12. Getting textures to work with OpenGL