OpenGL hardware accel - how?

Post by Anton Norup Soerens » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am starting to learn about OpenGL by studying HeNe's tutorials at
http://nehe.gamedev.net/opengl.asp
They compile and run fine under Windows(Visual C++) and Linux.
But while they run hardware-accelerated under Windows, they use
software only under Linux. I use XF86 4.0.1, and a TNT2 with NVdriver 0.95.
Games like Quake 2, Quake 3 and Descent 3 runs nicely hardware accelerated,
but how can I make the programs from the tutorial to do that?

Thanks,
Anton Sorensen

OpenGL hardware accel - how?

Post by Ingo Soetebie » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am starting to learn about OpenGL by studying HeNe's tutorials at
> http://nehe.gamedev.net/opengl.asp
> They compile and run fine under Windows(Visual C++) and Linux.
> But while they run hardware-accelerated under Windows, they use
> software only under Linux. I use XF86 4.0.1, and a TNT2 with NVdriver 0.95.
> Games like Quake 2, Quake 3 and Descent 3 runs nicely hardware accelerated,
> but how can I make the programs from the tutorial to do that?

> Thanks,
> Anton Sorensen

The Problem with the NVIDIA driver for Linux is, that there is no
libGLU.so, no gl.h and no glu.h included. If You compile OpenGL
programms, you need these. If the programms compile without errors in
Linux, there's possibly a version Mesa installed (with gl.h, glu.h and
libGLU.so), that uses only software rendering.
It should be possible to compile Mesa for the NVIDIA stuff, but I havn't
found out how to do this. Maybe somebody knows how to do this? And why
doesn't NVIDIA include the files into the driver package?

regards,
Ingo

OpenGL hardware accel - how?

Post by Patrice Mandi » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> It should be possible to compile Mesa for the NVIDIA stuff, but I havn't
> found out how to do this. Maybe somebody knows how to do this? And why
> doesn't NVIDIA include the files into the driver package?

I had the same problem, because I bought a NVidia card to learn Open GL.
So here is the method I used to solve the problem:
- Install Mesa 3.2(software drivers only) in /usr/local/lib
- Move Mesa GL libs (/usr/local/lib/libGL.so.*) in /usr/local/old-libs
- Now when compiling a program, link with the flag '-L/usr/local/old-libs'
(maybe not needed if you have a glibc-2.1 based system). I have a
glibc-2.0 system and I can not directly link with NVidia libraries.
- When you run a program, it will load the first GL libs found in the
linker path, aka /usr/lib/libGL.so (NVidia libraries)

--
Patrice Mandin
WWW: http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

OpenGL hardware accel - how?

Post by Stephen Kenned » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > I am starting to learn about OpenGL by studying HeNe's tutorials at
> > http://nehe.gamedev.net/opengl.asp
> > They compile and run fine under Windows(Visual C++) and Linux.
> > But while they run hardware-accelerated under Windows, they use
> > software only under Linux. I use XF86 4.0.1, and a TNT2 with NVdriver
0.95.
> > Games like Quake 2, Quake 3 and Descent 3 runs nicely hardware
accelerated,
> > but how can I make the programs from the tutorial to do that?

Here's how I did it. (on a redhat system)
Install Mesa, Mesa-devel, NVidia GLX and NVidia driver.
I assume you've got this far.

Now in /usr/lib there are a few libGL.so.1.0.5 and
libGL.so.1.2.023021 (or something similar)

As root:
Move the libGL.so.1.2.x out of /usr/lib or delete it.
Run ldconfig.

Done!
Stephen.

1. Slow OpenGL, how to enable hardware accel?

Hi there,

Why while programming OpenGL (even with GL_POINTS Modelview) in a large
window the image is quite slow, even with a G400 Matrox?

I mean, if you reduce the window size, it becomes a lot faster but the
amount of points to calculate hasn't changed.

Can anybody explain to me how to enable hardware acceleration if this would
solve my problem?

Thanks

2. particles

3. How to determine hardware accel in OpenGL

4. Terrorist attack.

5. SGI release OpenGL window / GLX API as Open Source to bring hardware accel to Linux

6. MESA 3D question

7. Howto disable hardware accel OpenGL

8. Friendly/Helpful 3D community seeking new recruits!

9. Help with NT4 + OpenGL + 3D Hardware Accel

10. MGA Millenium hardware OpenGL accel

11. Fullscreen hardware accel in Delphi via OpenGL

12. ImageVision: Hardware accel for convolutions

13. RE Hardware Accel of Convolutions in ImageVision