Need a free compiler for windows for openGL

Need a free compiler for windows for openGL

Post by Daniel Quaron » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hey there.  I have an openGL project to work on over break, but I'm
going to be away from our lab's linux boxes.  I need a free
compiler that will compile openGL.  (Tried one that didn't, and
supposedly
not even Borland works)

Any suggestions?

--
Daniel Quaroni

Playstation Writer
Wewp!
The call of every victorious gamer!
http://www.wewp.com

Post by Andrew F. Vespe » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Hey there.  I have an openGL project to work on over break, but I'm
> going to be away from our lab's linux boxes.  I need a free
> compiler that will compile openGL.  (Tried one that didn't, and
> supposedly
> not even Borland works)

The free Borland compiler should work; be sure to use the GL
libraries that come with it, or search around until you find
some Borland compatible GL libraries.
--
Andy V (OpenGL Alpha Geek)
"In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar."

Paul Martz's OpenGL FAQ: http://www.frii.com/~martz/oglfaq

Need a free compiler for windows for openGL

Post by Robert Niedziel » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

You can use gcc from cygwin package: www.cygnus.com
Download beta20 version of cygwin. It contains most of the Unix tools
ported to Windows.

> Hey there.  I have an openGL project to work on over break, but I'm
> going to be away from our lab's linux boxes.  I need a free
> compiler that will compile openGL.  (Tried one that didn't, and
> supposedly
> not even Borland works)

> Any suggestions?

> --
> Daniel Quaroni

> Playstation Writer
> Wewp!
> The call of every victorious gamer!
> http://www.wewp.com

Need a free compiler for windows for openGL

Post by Rene Tschaggela » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

OpenGL is not a language, but an API. Any compiler will do, provided the
API is included or available.

Rene

Post by Jeff Dunca » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> The free Borland compiler should work; be sure to use the GL
> libraries that come with it, or search around until you find
> some Borland compatible GL libraries.

The original release of Borland's free command line tools did not
include the GL header files. They may have corrected that, now. If not,
download the OpenGL SDK in addition to Borland's command line tools,
then use the headers from that - should be compatible according to
Inprise.

-- Jeff Duncan

Need a free compiler for windows for openGL

Post by 'Bwana' Bob Buckle » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I used to use the compilers included in some of the text books on Visual
C++. For less than $40 you can pick up a crappy book and a full featured
compiler. The catch is that the compiler links in a pre-run dialog box
into your executable reminding you that the compiler is for
instructional use only and executables are not to be distributed. I can
get you the exact titles if you wish.

I just recently picked up Visual C++ 6.0 for $100 with a $50 rebate, no
restrictions.

> > Hey there.  I have an openGL project to work on over break, but I'm
> > going to be away from our lab's linux boxes.  I need a free
> > compiler that will compile openGL.  (Tried one that didn't, and
> > supposedly
> > not even Borland works)

> The free Borland compiler should work; be sure to use the GL
> libraries that come with it, or search around until you find
> some Borland compatible GL libraries.
> --
> Andy V (OpenGL Alpha Geek)
> "In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar."
> Richard P. Feynman, quoted by Jagdish Mehra in _The Beat of a Different Drum_.

> Paul Martz's OpenGL FAQ: http://www.frii.com/~martz/oglfaq

  Bob.Buckley-contractor.vcf
< 1K Download

Need a free compiler for windows for openGL

Post by Greg Tad » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Try <a href = "http://home.clara.net/paulyg/ogl.htm">Paul's OpenGL
page</a>. I got this link off of the <a href
= "http://www.opengl.org>OpenGL</a> site. It has documentation on using
the freely downloadable Borland C++ for OpenGL.

Greg

> Hey there.  I have an openGL project to work on over break, but I'm
> going to be away from our lab's linux boxes.  I need a free
> compiler that will compile openGL.  (Tried one that didn't, and
> supposedly
> not even Borland works)

> Any suggestions?

> --
> Daniel Quaroni

> Playstation Writer
> Wewp!
> The call of every victorious gamer!
> http://www.wewp.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Need a free compiler for windows for openGL

Post by fresh.. » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I wrote a small page about compiling OpenGL stuff using cygwin gcc,

http://members.xoom.com/bpj1138/glut_on_windows.html

--bart

> You can use gcc from cygwin package: www.cygnus.com
> Download beta20 version of cygwin. It contains most of the Unix tools
> ported to Windows.

> > Hey there.  I have an openGL project to work on over break, but I'm
> > going to be away from our lab's linux boxes.  I need a free
> > compiler that will compile openGL.  (Tried one that didn't, and
> > supposedly
> > not even Borland works)

> > Any suggestions?

> > --
> > Daniel Quaroni

> > Playstation Writer
> > Wewp!
> > The call of every victorious gamer!
> > http://www.wewp.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Need a free compiler for windows for openGL

Post by Karsten Wutzk » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Just recently a new version of Cygwin has been released:

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

News from April 17th!

Karsten

1. Using GLUT with a free compiler under Windows

Has anyone tips with using GLUT with a free compiler under Windows please?

I'm trying to compile using Dev-C++ (Cygwin compiler...) but get the
following linking errors :

"
d:\myopengl\testbis\main.o(.text+0x169):main.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__glutInit'
d:\myopengl\testbis\main.o(.text+0x179):main.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__glutInitDisplayMode'
d:\myopengl\testbis\main.o(.text+0x191):main.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__glutInitWindowSize'
d:\myopengl\testbis\main.o(.text+0x1a3):main.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__glutInitWindowPosition'
d:\myopengl\testbis\main.o(.text+0x1b6):main.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__glutCreateWindow'
d:\myopengl\testbis\main.o(.text+0x1ce):main.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__glutDisplayFunc'
d:\myopengl\testbis\main.o(.text+0x1d9):main.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__glutMainLoop'
"

I've also tried compiling with LCC from within the IDE that comes with it
but also get glut errors there.

[rant]I thought C was platform independent and so were OpenGL and GLUT but
here I realize just what a mess there is in-between with the
compilers[/rant].

I'm OK with C, I get a book to learn using OpenGL and GLUT... but I'm
completely lost with compilers :( So if anyone has a guide to that by the
way he'll be welcome since I don't really get all the magic going on behind
linking, librairies... and such.

Thanks a lot guys as I can't wait using OpenGL.

Kind regards -

Tsyrak

2. animation master serial?

3. best openGL compiler for windows

4. PodLand

5. OpenGl and free compilers...

6. Jobs by Mail 2000 - 20+ Computer Graphics jobs daily in your mailbox

7. WINDOWS COSTS, BLENDER FOR WINDOWS COSTS, LINUX IS FREE, BLENDER FOR LINUX IS FREE,

8. Please check out my website!

9. Free 3D Gif editor/compiler package.

10. free mpeg compiler

11. Free Borland C++ Compiler 5.5

12. Shader compiler on Windows 98

13. Renderman for windows - Shader compiler?