gluScaleImage crashes!?!?

Post by David Calkin » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am loading images for use in 2D texture mapping.  OpenGL textures must
have a size that is a power of 2.  So, I have a scaling routine, which takes
the GL image, and scales it up to the next closest power of two.  It uses
glScaleImage().
Most of my images are ~200pixels in size, and scale to 256.  However, a
couple of them are ~300 pixels.  These of course, should scale up to 512
pixels.
When calling gluScaleImage() with the larger images, my program crashes.
Illegal read of address ... etc.
It only crashes when reading these larger images.  The image I am inputting
is GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, and GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT 1 byte.  The output
image is the same, except with a different size.
Have you heard of gluScaleImage crashing like this?  I am running Windows NT
4.0, with Service Pack 3.  The app I am writing also runs on the Power
Macintosh.  Oddly enough, it crashes on the PC, but not on the Mac.  So, the
arguments I'm passing to gluScaleImage are correct, but something with the
Windows GLU library must be screwed up.

David Calkins
New River Kinematics

1. 64mgs...crash, crash,crash

Can someone tell me what would be a good minimum ram for MAX.  I've got 64
and whenevr I try to animate particle systems or anything vaguley
complicated it crashes..or it renders then crashes.

Is this strictly a memory issue?  For the first time today i got a memory
error when I tried to use convolver in the material browser then it
crashed.  But t before today it was strictly silent crashes.

I can upgrade to 128mgs if it will help.  But will it.  Could this be an
accelerator issue - i dont have one worth talking about....I've got 2 gigs
of free disk space and have 400mg swap space assigned.  Also...since I got
the extra 2 gigs its been crashing less which leads me to the memory thing.

I was reading a tutorial the other day and the guys like...first make 8
particle systems....yeah right...crash.

Anyway...email me solutions please

2. Animation1999

3. PageMaker 6.5 + 7.6.1 = crash crash crash?

4. 3D GENIUS OUT THERE-PLEASE HELP

5. Box filtering in gluScaleImage?

6. glutTimerFunc HELP

7. GLU gluScaleImage error