MGA Millenium hardware OpenGL accel

Post by Mike Elgers » Mon, 01 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Subject: Test Matrox Millennium OpenGL hardware acceleration for OpenGL.

All tests were done with several screen resolutions that supported
16 bit color, double buffering, and z buffering in hardware.
Test hardware rendering using 16 bit z buffer.
Test software rendering using 32 bit z buffer (not supported by hardware).

Note: tri/sec means triangles per second.

Matrox Reference
 Hardware:  190,000 tri/sec (advertized for some DOS or Windows 3.1 APIs)

My Experiment using Windows NT 3.51, 3D-DDI, driver 2.00.044, Pentium 120:
 Hardware:   16,000 tri/sec (independent of number of pixels per triangle)
 Software:   16,000 tri/sec (for 12 pixel triangles)
 Software:    8,000 tri/sec (for 50 pixel triangles)

Others have reported software being 10 times slower than hardware for
triangles with thousands of pixels.

Note that for triangles of size smaller than 12 pixels, software
rendering (which can be forced by using a 32 bit z buffer)
is actually faster than hardware.

To increase speed (when using hardware):
 Reduce the NUMBER of triangles, not their SIZE.
 Comment out glCallLists (used to write text to screen).

High screen resolution gives more pixels/triangle.
This penalizes software speed, but not hardware speed.

MGA Millenium hardware OpenGL accel

Post by H & S Servic » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

CORTESE ATTENZIONE CENTRO HL
ABBIAMO RICEVUTO IL VOSTRO MATERIALE

1. Slow OpenGL, how to enable hardware accel?

Hi there,

Why while programming OpenGL (even with GL_POINTS Modelview) in a large
window the image is quite slow, even with a G400 Matrox?

I mean, if you reduce the window size, it becomes a lot faster but the
amount of points to calculate hasn't changed.

Can anybody explain to me how to enable hardware acceleration if this would
solve my problem?

Thanks

2. Mustek Scanner Problems

3. OpenGL hardware accel - how?

4. hardware question

5. How to determine hardware accel in OpenGL

6. SGI release OpenGL window / GLX API as Open Source to bring hardware accel to Linux

7. Howto disable hardware accel OpenGL

8. Help with NT4 + OpenGL + 3D Hardware Accel

9. Fullscreen hardware accel in Delphi via OpenGL

10. NT REGISTRY SETTINGS FOR MATROX MGA MILLENIUM - IMPORTANT!

11. Matrox MGA Millenium Video Modes???????