Best system for running OpenGL (please help)

Best system for running OpenGL (please help)

Post by The Bad Se » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

        I'm looking to get a new computer some time soon and can't decide what
system I should get.  At present, I am tossing up between getting a workstation
with 3D graphics accelerator cards and an Intel 450MHz CPU or getting a laptop
computer with a 300MHz CPU (again, Intel) and a 14.1" TFT screen.

        Does anyone out there know what OpenGL performance is like on such a
laptop?  I'm keen on the laptop but my priority is to get a computer with solid
OGL graphics performance as my old computer keeps letting me down in that
department.  I'd appreciate any comments on the two systems above but please
don't suggest other machines (eg. SGI) as I need an Intel computer.  Aside from
the differences I've highlighted, I'd be aiming to get the same on both systems
(ie same RAM, OS etc).

Many thanks,
TBS
--
aka:  The Bad Seed                                Au Claire De La Luunaaarghh!!

"You have to have a superiority complex to work in this business."
                                                  -- Sam Newman, The Footy Show.

Best system for running OpenGL (please help)

Post by anato » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Try Intergraph workstation

Best system for running OpenGL (please help)

Post by Bjorn Lindgre » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi there,
>    I'm looking to get a new computer some time soon and can't decide what
> system I should get.  At present, I am tossing up between getting a workstation
> with 3D graphics accelerator cards and an Intel 450MHz CPU or getting a laptop
> computer with a 300MHz CPU (again, Intel) and a 14.1" TFT screen.
>    Does anyone out there know what OpenGL performance is like on such a
> laptop?  I'm keen on the laptop but my priority is to get a computer with solid
> OGL graphics performance as my old computer keeps letting me down in that
> department.  I'd appreciate any comments on the two systems above but please
> don't suggest other machines (eg. SGI) as I need an Intel computer.  Aside from
> the differences I've highlighted, I'd be aiming to get the same on both systems
> (ie same RAM, OS etc).

Well, you wont get any hardware acceleration on a laptop.
I suggest buying a 3D card based on 3Dlabs Glint GMX 2000 chipset.

http://www.3dlabs.com

--
bjorn.l . bjorn(e)goatnet.ml.org
http://www.goatnet.ml.org

... In the end there can be only one - and it will be a cuddly penguin.

Best system for running OpenGL (please help)

Post by Pierre Allie » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have AccelGMX 2000 from www.ag3d.com under NT 4.0,
it's great !
--
Pierre Alliez (not a France Telecom spokesperson))
France Telecom Rennes