multitexturing

Post by Jason Wh » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:51:07

If we dont use extentions with multitexture, then how can you make a surface
with a more complex texturing?
If i want to render a landscape with a soil texture and a grass texture and
evern a snow texture, which all overlay eachother, so sometimes you can see
dirt through holes in the snow.. sometimes you see grass.. sometimes there
is no snow... how do you do it?

Is the accepted method to simply render the landscape with soil texture,
then grass texture and then snow.. all being partly transparent?

That brings in another question. Considering that you cant simply make a
detailed landscape texture of 16384*16384 pixels and smack it on. Is this
normally handled by making smaller tillable textures and perhaps texture
only a smaller part of the landscape at a time?

multitexturing

Post by Jason Wh » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 16:51:08

Oddly enough my post arrived in this thread. Seems my newsreader thought it
was clever, considering the subject was the same.
Anyway.. if someone are confused, this is the reason.

multitexturing

Post by fungu » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 17:02:21

> If we dont use extentions with multitexture, then how can

 > you make a surface with a more complex texturing?

Almost all PC graphics cards in the real world
have at least two texture units. I mean 99.999%
of them. Assuming you have two texture units is
a very safe asumption.

For three (or more) you need a Geforce3 level card.

Quote:> If i want to render a landscape with a soil texture and a grass texture and
> evern a snow texture, which all overlay eachother, so sometimes you can see
> dirt through holes in the snow.. sometimes you see grass.. sometimes there
> is no snow... how do you do it?

Use as many texture uints as are available. If there
aren't enough texture units to do it in a single pass
then use multiple rendering passes.

Quote:> Is the accepted method to simply render the landscape with soil texture,
> then grass texture and then snow.. all being partly transparent?

Yes.

Quote:> That brings in another question. Considering that you cant simply make a
> detailed landscape texture of 16384*16384 pixels and smack it on.

Graphics card memory is a valuable resource - things
go very slow when it runs out and starts paging. You
won't win many fans with this sort of thinking.

Quote:> Is this normally handled by making smaller tillable textures

 > and perhaps texture only a smaller part of the landscape at a time?

Take a good look at some games and see what they do...

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

multitexturing

Post by Micha3 » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 22:37:01

> Use as many texture uints as are available. If there
> aren't enough texture units to do it in a single pass
> then use multiple rendering passes.

How can i use multiple rendering passes?

multitexturing

Post by fungu » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 23:05:14

> How can i use multiple rendering passes?

Render each polygon as many times as needed
with a different texture each time.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

multitexturing

Post by Danny Chapma » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 23:08:07

> > Use as many texture uints as are available. If there
> > aren't enough texture units to do it in a single pass
> > then use multiple rendering passes.

> How can i use multiple rendering passes?

This is what I do (multiple pass on my terrain), in condensed form:

setup_texture_for_first_pass();
draw_terrain();
glDepthFunc(GL_EQUAL)
glEnable(GL_BLEND)
glBlendFunc(GL_DST_COLOR, GL_ZERO);
setup_texture_for_second_pass();
draw_terrain();

This multiplies the RGBA values originally drawn with the RGBA values
drawn in the second pass. You can change this with glBlendFunc.

This is equivalent to using GL_MODULATE when combining two textures in a
single pass.

- Danny

--------------------------------------
       Slope Soaring Simulator
 http://www.rowlhouse.freeserve.co.uk

1. Multitexturing on SGI Visual Workstations

Hello, does anyone know how to use multitexturing on the SGI 540 visual
workstation? They don't seem to support the multitexturing extensions.
Thanks,
kelly (hotmail user Kelly_L_Dempski)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Joe Monahan is faster

3. huge vertex buffer & multitexturing problem

4. SMEGGY! Read me

5. Direct3D multitexturing problems

6. how do i create a thumbnail from a jpeg

7. Multitexturing

8. please help amateur graphics artist

9. MultiTexturing

10. multitexturing -- balancing textures?

11. multitexturing

12. blending, multitexturing, and fog

13. Vertex Arrays with multitexturing ARB