More win95/glut/gnuwin32

Post by Steve Bellen » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

win95 does not seem to come with enough stuff to link to opengl32.dll
(at least I have that) with glut32.dll and friends. Is there a way
to get a .lib or .a file from a .dll? Or is there a source of these
files outside of buying a compiler from some where.

TIA
--

More win95/glut/gnuwin32

Post by Mark Kilga » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

writes:

|> win95 does not seem to come with enough stuff to link to opengl32.dll
|> (at least I have that) with glut32.dll and friends. Is there a way
|> to get a .lib or .a file from a .dll? Or is there a source of these
|> files outside of buying a compiler from some where.

If I understand you correctly, the issue is that you
get the OPENGL32.DLL file for free, but not the OPENGL32.LIB
file that you need to link OpenGL executables.

One way around this situation is to download SGI OpenGL
from:

  http://www.meer.net/~gold/OpenGL/sgi-opengl.html

This gives you OPENGL.DLL, OPENGL.LIB, GL.H, and GLU.H
for compiling OpenGL applications.  You can actually tell
SGI OpenGL to just pass through all the commands to
Microsoft OpenGL 1.1 if you want.  You edit a registry
entry for this.  See the documentation for details.

For many things, you may actually find SGI OpenGL's
OPENGL.DLL is faster so you might just use it as is.

I hope this helps.

- Mark

More win95/glut/gnuwin32

Post by Eeri Ka » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> |>
> |> win95 does not seem to come with enough stuff to link to opengl32.dll
> |> (at least I have that) with glut32.dll and friends. Is there a way
> |> to get a .lib or .a file from a .dll? Or is there a source of these
> |> files outside of buying a compiler from some where.

> If I understand you correctly, the issue is that you
> get the OPENGL32.DLL file for free, but not the OPENGL32.LIB
> file that you need to link OpenGL executables.

As I see from the Subject: you want to use the gnuwin32 development
tools without giving out money for something like visual c++ or so.
I had success after downloading the latest OpenGL libraries from
Microsoft.  You have opengl32.a and glu32.a stub libraries somewhere
under /gnuwin32/... which will work fine with these. 1
(They seem to be of OpenGL 1.0 though, at least they lacked
glPolygonOffset() I noticed.)

Greetings,

        Eeri Kask

------------
1 Probably you have to create glut.a from sources yourself (using -DWIN32),
then link with "-lglut -lglu32 -lopengl32 -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32".

1. GLUT, 3dfx and Win95/NT?

Hello,

I am trying to get GLUT to use hardware acceleration
(on a 3dfx chip), but have not found any documentation
on how to do this.  Is it even possible?  I would
assume that glutEnterGameMode would do this, but I
have yet to find an openGL implementation that supports
this function.  Any ideas?  tia,

marc

ps: using win95 and winnt

2. KPT tutorials?

3. OpenGL + GLUT + Win95?

4. SGI pointer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

5. Running GLUT examples on Win95

6. SPRITES and CREATION

7. Glut/Opengl win95 resources?

8. PageMaker - Import Database ala DataShaper

9. HELP: OPENGL & GLUT with WIN95

10. GLUT 3.6 and MSVC 5.0 in Win95?

11. Where can I find glut for Win95?

12. Where is GLUT for win95?

13. OpenGL for Win95/NT, GLUT 3.5, and MS VC++ 5.0