16 bit color

Post by Phani Kalagar » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
        I am using glut with openGL, looks like my program is
using 32 bit color so on voodoo3 its punting to software mode.
When I use drivers distributed by 3dfx it goes into 16 bit mode
& still does harware acceleration.

Anways, I would like to be able to use 16 bit color. How could I do
that.
I dont think its as simple as changing glcolor4f to glcolor4us.

Thanks,
phani

16 bit color

Post by Anton Degue » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
>         I am using glut with openGL, looks like my program is
> using 32 bit color so on voodoo3 its punting to software mode.
> When I use drivers distributed by 3dfx it goes into 16 bit mode
> & still does harware acceleration.

> Anways, I would like to be able to use 16 bit color. How could I do
> that.
> I dont think its as simple as changing glcolor4f to glcolor4us.

> Thanks,
> phani

Maybe you can simply change the settings of your display ?

Anton

16 bit color

Post by Anton Degue » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi,
> >         I am using glut with openGL, looks like my program is
> > using 32 bit color so on voodoo3 its punting to software mode.
> > When I use drivers distributed by 3dfx it goes into 16 bit mode
> > & still does harware acceleration.

> > Anways, I would like to be able to use 16 bit color. How could I do
> > that.
> > I dont think its as simple as changing glcolor4f to glcolor4us.

> > Thanks,
> > phani

> Maybe you can simply change the settings of your display ?

It sounds like you are using windows -> right click on the background,
display properties.
If you are using linux, start X with option -bpp 16 (see Xfree
documentation for exact syntax).

Anton

16 bit color

Post by Jon Whit » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

You don't have to change your code at all, just chage the display mode and
all will happen as if by magic.

Quote:> Hi,